Which computer?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
This is my first post so Hi to everyone on the forum.

Well i have a doubt which computer to buy : iMac G5 20" or MacMini 1.83GHz coreduo, both with 1GB of RAM.

I am a graphic designer so i'll be using it for work with Photoshop, Illustartor and Macromedia Flash most of the time.

Ofcourse mini has better CPU but iMac everthing else.

I ask about these two computers because i can get them for about same price and i don't have money for new iMac what would be the best choice.

So what do you think would be better investment for the next 5 years?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    With photoshop and stuff I wouldn't really suggest either. Especially with only one gig of ram. Save up your money for a while and get a MacPro if you can.

However if that isn't an option, and you need it for the next 5 years...I would have to say the MacMini because the Intel proc. will last longer with new apps coming out for it...
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shadow Slayer 26 View Post

With photoshop and stuff I wouldn't really suggest either. Especially with only one gig of ram. Save up your money for a while and get a MacPro if you can.

However if that isn't an option, and you need it for the next 5 years...I would have to say the MacMini because the Intel proc. will last longer with new apps coming out for it...

Thanks. I plan to put more RAM inside for sure. MacPro would be the best choice but at moment isn't an option and i need new computer soon.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    how soon?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shadow Slayer 26 View Post

how soon?

Well i can wait for 2-2.5 months tops
  • Reply 5 of 6
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Why not a refurb iMac with a core 2 duo chip. A 17" with a core 2 at 2 ghz can be had for $1049. The 20" with 2.16 ghz C2D for $1299. Good deals IMO. Heck a 17" with 1.83 ghz core duo(not core 2) is $799. I would avoid ppc Macs at this point. Univerasal cs3 is around the corner and the future is Intel. Even a g5 Mac may not last long at this point.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Why not a refurb iMac with a core 2 duo chip. A 17" with a core 2 at 2 ghz can be had for $1049. The 20" with 2.16 ghz C2D for $1299. Good deals IMO. Heck a 17" with 1.83 ghz core duo(not core 2) is $799. I would avoid ppc Macs at this point. Univerasal cs3 is around the corner and the future is Intel. Even a g5 Mac may not last long at this point.

Thanks for information. I will defently look for refurb iMac. Even with core duo would be much better than mini or iMac G5.