Just bought Mac Pro - sending it back....

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Someone please tell me I have a dudd......

Just got it two hours ago..finally made the jump, BUT...

The HUMMMMMMM from the PSU is absoloutely terrible !

I can't believe how loud it is.....is it suposed to be like this ?

It's a stndard build, 1G RAM, standard video etc.

If I send it back and get another one, maybe they are all like it ???

This can't be right - If I am 20 feet away, it's obtrusive ??

Anyone had similar problem ???

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Doesn't sound normal. Try running all of the updates in Software Update (in System Preferences) and Repair Permissions (in Disk Utility). If that doesn't work, try resetting the Power Management Unit (you'll have to look up that one) and finally reinstalling the OS altogether and that may likely fix it. If it doesn't then yes, you have a dud.

In July my Power Mac G5 flipped out and wouldn't work right. After much trial and error the Apple techs told me to reinstall the OS. Problem solved.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

Doesn't sound normal. Try running all of the updates in Software Update (in System Preferences) and Repair Permissions (in Disk Utility). If that doesn't work, try resetting the Power Management Unit (you'll have to look up that one) and finally reinstalling the OS altogether and that may likely fix it. If it doesn't then yes, you have a dud.

In July my Power Mac G5 flipped out and wouldn't work right. After much trial and error the Apple techs told me to reinstall the OS. Problem solved.

I think you should try the MAc Pro again.

I bought one over a month ago and it does not exhibit that issue at all. We have had no problems with it whatsoever. I can only rave about it really.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Yes - definately something wrong.

From barefeats http://www.barefeats.com/quad08.html

<snip>NOISE LEVELS

Noise levels are hard to measure with our crude decibel meter. The Mac Pro is quiet -- quieter than any Mac tower we can remember. <snip>
  • Reply 4 of 15
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    No doubt about it, you have a defective machine.

Mine is almost totally silent. I have an external hard drive which is louder than the Mac Pro

C.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

No doubt about it, you have a defective machine.

Mine is almost totally silent. I have an external hard drive which is louder than the Mac Pro

C.

Tried suggestions and still hums.....what now ??

Maybe a loose screw/panel.....get a new one or try and find it myself ??

• Reply 6 of 15
    Just noticed...when in sleep, hum goes away.....then when disks power up etc..hummmmmm
  • Reply 7 of 15
    did you reinstall the os?
  • Reply 8 of 15
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phil79 View Post

Tried suggestions and still hums.....what now ??

Maybe a loose screw/panel.....get a new one or try and find it myself ??

I fitted a second hard drive - and got a buzzing for an hour or so.

You could try this:

Turn on power-saving for hard drives - and see if the hum goes away when the drive spins down.

If it does....

Pull out the hard drive, and fit it into a different "sled".

See if you hear a difference.

C.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Heck, if it's brand new, I wouldn't even bother with all the various suggestions (though I'm sure they're good ones). You're not responsible for figuring out what's wrong with your brand new machine. Call them up and get the repair/replacement process in motion.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    meh, he just got it though, i wouldn't want to go through all the hastle of sending it back and getting another one. unless it was for sure broken.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post

meh, he just got it though, i wouldn't want to go through all the hastle of sending it back and getting another one. unless it was for sure broken.

Flounder AND Richard are both right......

But there is something wrong, I've built a number of PC's in the past and this just seems like either a dodgy PSU or more likely something loose...

BTW - a few suggestions of "re-install the OS" - really ????? Warranty etc

Sh*t I am so ducking angry
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phil79 View Post

Flounder AND Richard are both right......

But there is something wrong, I've built a number of PC's in the past and this just seems like either a dodgy PSU or more likely something loose...

BTW - a few suggestions of "re-install the OS" - really ????? Warranty etc

Sh*t I am so ducking angry

Aha !

Just moved the hard-drive to another bay, hum has practically gone......bit of a curates egg, really.

Not sure wether to be pleased or annoyed...... build quality could be better !

Thanks for all replies and suggestions.

However - it's STILL noiser than I thought it would be....anyone put a nice quiet hard drive in and re-installed the OS ?? Sound proof material ???

Thanks to all.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    does the os come with the computer on cd? or do they install it only?
  • Reply 15 of 15
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Mine is quiet enough I barely hear it without the drive doing something. Less noise than my Replay TV at home which is a rather noisy beast for a CE device. The MBP is noisy in comparison and the Dell Precision is just noisy period.

Vinea