Airport Extreme 'n' for 1st gen MBP?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Does any one know if you buy a current Airport Extreme card from the Apple store and replace the Airport Extreme card in a 1st gen MBP (Core Duo, not Core 2 Duo) if the new cards will support 802.11n with the new enabler??? If not, is there any other internal solution for gettn 802.11n on the 1st ge MBP?

Thanks,

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    You can't buy airport extreme cards from the apple store for the mbp. I'm hoping they'll come out with something but it's unlikely.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

You can't buy airport extreme cards from the apple store for the mbp. I'm hoping they'll come out with something but it's unlikely.

From this link where you can purchase an Apple Extreme card...

Apple Store Aiport Extreme

I get this information

Quote:

System Requirements:

- The AirPort Extreme Card can be installed only in computers that are AirPort Extreme ready.

AirPort Extreme Cards cannot be used in AirPort-ready computers with an AirPort Card slot.

- Requires Mac OS X 10.2.7 or later and AirPort Admin Utility software version 3.1.1 or later to administer an AirPort Extreme Base Station.

-Wireless printing over USB requires Mac OS X v10.2.7 or later.

This AirPort Extreme Card is not compatible with the Mac Pro or the Power Mac G5 Dual and Power Mac G5 Quad computers introduced in October 2005. To add an AirPort Extreme card to one of these systems, please contact an Apple Retail Store or other Authorized Apple Service Provider.

So its not clear to me that this isn't whats in my MBP. Not being argumentative but trying to figure this out. For $49 I would buy another one and replace the one that's inside if it gave by 'n'.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    o_rlyo_rly Posts: 27member
    I think the cards / card slots may be work, but I believe Apple has said they do not intend to develop updated standalone cards. Who knows what else has been updated to support the n speeds... antennas maybe?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    That card is for older desktop Macs, not new laptops.

It's G anyway.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smax View Post

That card is for older desktop Macs, not new laptops.

It's G anyway.

Thanks, that what I thought but it doen't say for desktops only.