Macbook + Final Cut = Love?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Has anyone tested Final Cut Pro or Final Cut Express on a Macbook? I know the Macbook doesn't have a dedicated graphics card, but I was reading around online and people were saying Final Cut ran amazingly on the Macbook hardware. Is it a good decision to run Final Cut Pro on a Macbook or should I just cough up the extra cash and just buy a Macbook pro?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonndailey View Post

Has anyone tested Final Cut Pro or Final Cut Express on a Macbook? I know the Macbook doesn't have a dedicated graphics card, but I was reading around online and people were saying Final Cut ran amazingly on the Macbook hardware. Is it a good decision to run Final Cut Pro on a Macbook or should I just cough up the extra cash and just buy a Macbook pro?

If you are going to be editing a lot of video using Final Cut Pro, you should be using a MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    tokentoken Posts: 142member
    Ireland: Could you elaborate with some reason or hard evidence for that claim?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonndailey View Post

The graphics card won't help at all with Final Cut. The MBP and MB are practically the same internally and I think it's ridiculous that the MBP is so much more expensive for just a GPU and higher screen res. I'd be quite happy if they scrapped both lineups and just offered BTO options for both and varied the sizes.

13", 15", 17"

silver, white or black

superdrive in all of them

GMA or X1600

glossy or matte

They should have the same design with regards to magnetic latch and HD/Ram upgrades.

The reason that it won't matter is that video generally puts a load on your system throughput, not your GPU. The same video that stutters on a Mac Mini with a GMA stutters on an iMac with an X1600 because the system buses are the same. Now, the X1600 can drive a higher resolution display but if you use the internal screen then it's no different.

In favour of the MBP however is that you can do some decent gaming on your break, you will look more professional, the silver enclosure is more scratch resistant and you get a choice of a matte screen. If none of that matters, the Macbook is a good choice. Plus as I say, the Ram and HD are far more easily upgraded.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The graphics card won't help at all with Final Cut. The MBP and MB are practically the same internally and I think it's ridiculous that the MBP is so much more expensive for just a GPU and higher screen res. I'd be quite happy if they scrapped both lineups and just offered BTO options for both and varied the sizes.

13", 15", 17"

silver, white or black

superdrive in all of them

GMA or X1600

glossy or matte

They should have the same design with regards to magnetic latch and HD/Ram upgrades.

The reason that it won't matter is that video generally puts a load on your system throughput, not your GPU. The same video that stutters on a Mac Mini with a GMA stutters on an iMac with an X1600 because the system buses are the same. Now, the X1600 can drive a higher resolution display but if you use the internal screen then it's no different.

In favour of the MBP however is that you can do some decent gaming on your break, you will look more professional, the silver enclosure is more scratch resistant and you get a choice of a matte screen. If none of that matters, the Macbook is a good choice. Plus as I say, the Ram and HD are far more easily upgraded.

I disagree. I use FCP on a Macbook Pro, and saw someone using it on a Macbook (both Core 2 Duo). Previewing is much faster, and rendering also. I guess rendering *does* use the GPU for calculations.

But yes, the GPU isn't everything here. I'd rather work with FCP on a Macbook with 2GB of memory (even better, 3GB) instead of a 1GB Macbook Pro.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

I disagree. I use FCP on a Macbook Pro, and saw someone using it on a Macbook (both Core 2 Duo). Previewing is much faster, and rendering also. I guess rendering *does* use the GPU for calculations.

It could have been other issues like Ram or hard drive speed or Final Cut version or the clips themselves and formats. For 3D hardware-accelerated plugins, a faster GPU helps ( http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage...s_mac_pro.html ) but a few people regret spending double the money on a machine that does largely the same job:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=18264
  • Reply 6 of 10
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Marvin that's awesome but damn it makes me think maybe I should have got a maxed out macbook instead of an entry level mbp. (this is speaking core duo)

My mbp cost me $1999cad before taxes

A mb with 2gb ram, 160gb hd and apple care comes to $2042 before taxes.

If I could do it again I'd get the mb instead of the pro but oh well I still love my machine.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

Marvin that's awesome but damn it makes me think maybe I should have got a maxed out macbook instead of an entry level mbp. (this is speaking core duo)

My mbp cost me $1999cad before taxes

A mb with 2gb ram, 160gb hd and apple care comes to $2042 before taxes.

If I could do it again I'd get the mb instead of the pro but oh well I still love my machine.

I don't know, like I say, the Macbook Pro has more uses having a good GPU because things like Motion 2 that use GPU-accelerated rendering will run faster and it can drive higher resolution external displays. Plus, the white Macbooks get dirty very easily and the glossy screen can be a nuisance. I also reckon the MBPs will hold more of their value. Both machines are very capable so it's not easy choosing between them, which is why I think they should try to merge the lineups so people can more easily buy what they need.

I'd have a very tough time deciding. I like smaller laptops (MB), matte screens (MBP), good GPU (MBP), metal case (MBP), easy ram & HD upgrade (MB), magnetic latch (MB), low price (MB). So that's split fairly evenly between the MB and MBP, although the options aren't equally important.

Ideally what would satisfy me is a 12" MBP with a metal case with the same design as the MB, this covers it being smaller and easily upgraded. Then if it cost somewhere between the Macbook and low end 15" MBP (like the G4 12" was), it should satisfy on price.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The graphics card won't help at all with Final Cut. The MBP and MB are practically the same internally and I think it's ridiculous that the MBP is so much more expensive for just a GPU and higher screen res.

There's the FW800 port, backlit keyboard and the card slot too, so it's not as much of a stretch. I'm not sure why a notebook card slot is supposed to be considered a high end feature though, I guess that's another apple-ism.

Anyway, the tech specs clearly say that the GMA 950 is not supported. If you get it working, that's great, but their support team won't be obligated to help if it doesn't work.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Anyway, the tech specs clearly say that the GMA 950 is not supported. If you get it working, that's great, but their support team won't be obligated to help if it doesn't work.

True but the GMA is supported on Final Cut HD Express. The only difference I can see is that Final Cut Studio bundles Motion and I reckon that's what needs the faster GPU. Other people seem to have tested it on a Macbook and haven't mentioned any problems installing. I know that Apple prevented installing on PCI machines or something with a version of FCP. But yeah the lack of support might put some people off. If Apple sold the components separately, it wouldn't happen. I know they wouldn't though because probably no one would buy Motion.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Token View Post

Ireland: Could you elaborate with some reason or hard evidence for that claim?

Don't hold your breath...