Mail and Exchange??

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi,

I saw the following on the Apple website about Mail:
NTLM v2 Authentication

Enjoy greater compatibility with a wide range of Microsoft Exchange email server configurations.
Surely this doesn't imply that Mail can be used as an Exchange client, or does it?

/Digitus

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    There are different levels of exchange client. I use mail.app as an exchange email client when I'm at my office, and it works fine. But the administrators have set it so that I can't use it from home - it only works on their local network. Other administrators might set it so that it does work. But there are a lot more features to exchange than just email, such as calendaring, etc., and mail doesn't do those things.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

... But there are a lot more features to exchange than just email, such as calendaring, etc., and mail doesn't do those things.

iCal does calendaring if your implementation of Exchange supports it. Address Book handles contacts if your implentation of Exchange supports that. The MacOS X app which is most likely to work with your Exchange server is Microsoft's own POS Entourage 2004. However, if it your Exchange server is setup to work with the MacOS X triumverate of Mail/Address Book/iCal, then this is a much nicer way to go by far.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    How hard is it for IT people to set up the Mail/AddressBook/iCal solution? What is required?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    I can't seem to send any emails from my exchange account in Mail.app 2, but when I set up the account on my G5 running Mail.app 1 it works fine. From Mail 2 it bounces all message back to me. Does anyone know what might be causing this and how to get round it?

Thanks in advance
  • Reply 5 of 9
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

iCal does calendaring if your implementation of Exchange supports it. Address Book handles contacts if your implentation of Exchange supports that. The MacOS X app which is most likely to work with your Exchange server is Microsoft's own POS Entourage 2004. However, if it your Exchange server is setup to work with the MacOS X triumverate of Mail/Address Book/iCal, then this is a much nicer way to go by far.

I was aware that Address Book could connect with Exchange servers, but can you provide some info about how iCal can do this? I couldn't find anything with some searches.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    dutch peardutch pear Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

There are different levels of exchange client. I use mail.app as an exchange email client when I'm at my office, and it works fine. But the administrators have set it so that I can't use it from home - it only works on their local network. Other administrators might set it so that it does work. But there are a lot more features to exchange than just email, such as calendaring, etc., and mail doesn't do those things.

Brief question for those of you who have this working:

I can't get mail.app to connect to my work exchange server. I've asked the IT guys but they refuse to help me as 'they do not support macs'. I would really love to use mail.app as exchange web-access sucks and I dont want to reboot into windows through bootcamp just to use outlook... Any help is greatly appreciated!

Specifically: how do i find out the names/address of the servers for incoming and outgoing mail?? I've tried the format mailc.domainname.prod.intern I've found in the outlook settings but this is not working. Also, mail wants an smtp-address for my exchange account, where do I find that? I thought exchange didn't use an smtp server??

I can look up settings in outlook in windows, but i can't seem to find the right ones? Do i need an ip-address?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dutch pear View Post

Specifically: how do i find out the names/address of the servers for incoming and outgoing mail?? I've tried the format mailc.domainname.prod.intern I've found in the outlook settings but this is not working. Also, mail wants an smtp-address for my exchange account, where do I find that? I thought exchange didn't use an smtp server??

Your Exchange server is completely under the control of your IT staff. If it has not enabled a particular set of services and access methods, then there is nothing that anyone else can do about it. Having the URLs of the servers will not help.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    dutch peardutch pear Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Your Exchange server is completely under the control of your IT staff. If it has not enabled a particular set of services and access methods, then there is nothing that anyone else can do about it. Having the URLs of the servers will not help.

Hmm, that's a bummer!

So you're sure mail.app needs a different set of services and access methods than outlook uses and can't use the same services outlook uses?

That's not real exchange compatibility then.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dutch pear View Post

So you're sure mail.app needs a different set of services and access methods than outlook uses and can't use the same services outlook uses?

That's not real exchange compatibility then.

By that standard, there is no such thing as real Exchange compatibility. I am not willing to argue this point. The point is that every Exchange server is setup differently. Non-Microsoft developers do their best to accomodate the proprietary nature of Exchange and its implementations, but there is a limit to what they can do. Microsoft's own Entourage 2004 MacOS X communications client is severely limited in its Exchange-compatibility. Even Outlook is constrained by what your IT staff allows it to access and from where.