Bonjour For Windows

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
hey guys, im considering buying the new airport extreme and have a usb drive i wish to use as NAS but ive got a couple of questions about this "bonjour" thing i need to install on any windows machines wishing to access the drive.

Is it a whole new program i need to install and run or is it just another protocol which will get installed for use with my network adapter?

also is it possible to map it to a network drive and browse through it normally using windows explorer?

Basically i just want it to be as seamless as possible without any taskbar icons or additional programs or anything which would make it harder to use than a standard network attached drive. I know being a windows user and all im not exactly top priority but itd be nice if this was easy and straightforward as ive got several machines i wish to migrate to the airport extreme.

thanks for any help you may be able to give.

Comments

• Reply 2 of 5
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    I thought it ships with the AirPort CD anyway?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    dunno
  • Reply 4 of 5
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djtezze198 View Post

Is it a whole new program i need to install and run or is it just another protocol which will get installed for use with my network adapter?

It's just an underlying protocol that enables automatic discovery of network services.

Quote:

also is it possible to map it to a network drive and browse through it normally using windows explorer?

Yes.

I don't know if Bonjour is actually required for any of this. It might not be.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    My experience was with an Airport express. I did NOT use Bonjour for Windows (with XP) and it took a lot of searching within windows to get all the "properties" set correctly to access the Printer plugged into the Airport... but it worked. Not seamlessly though... often had to restart the Windows machines and/or the network to get them to see the printer... (but the Macs, of course, never had a problem finding it )

Much later, I ran across Bonjour for Windows and thought, "hmm, maybe Apple has a better solution!". I installed it on the Windows computers and the Airport printer has worked seamlessly with them ever since!

Bottom line... it can be done without Bonjour, but if you want a seamless, Apple-esque experience, then install it!