Why has CrackBerry More than DOUBLED in past 6 months?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I just looked at RIMM shares, and while affected somewhat recently by iPhone announcement, in the past 6 months it has more than doubled, and past 6 months OUTPERFORMED AAPL. WHY ????? Anyone??????

RIMM : $66 to $142 past six months

AAPL: $63 to $97 (high) now $84-ish

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

I just looked at RIMM shares, and while affected somewhat recently by iPhone announcement, in the past 6 months it has more than doubled, and past 6 months OUTPERFORMED AAPL. WHY ????? Anyone??????

RIMM : $66 to $142 past six months

AAPL: $63 to $97 (high) now $84-ish

RIMM's stock price wa depressed for a long time as a result of a 2003 lawsuit filed by a small email company called NTP claiming patent infringement. RIMM's popular email technology would have been crippled. After about 3 years of legal jousting, RIMM finally settled lifting a large burden from those interested in investing in the stock. Just Google search "RIMM NTP lawsuit" if you want to follow the whole complicated protracted story.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Blackberry is a good product, it's a big name, and the company makes money. Next question.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quite right. But they had to shell out a settlement charge of $615 M to NTP on March 3,2006. Prior to the settlement, their very existence was in question if they lost their popular "push" email technology.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Perhaps because the Pearl came out during that time period?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Cool thanks. I am still coming out of MacWorld thinking that any PDA-like device on the planet that has a physical plastic keyboard was thrown in the trash the moment Steve Jobs announced the iPhone.

I heard about the RIMM lawsuit, it was the first time I heard about BlackBerry being a product of the somewhat funnily named "Research In Motion"...
  • Reply 6 of 7
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Quote:

Cool thanks. I am still coming out of MacWorld thinking that any PDA-like device on the planet that has a physical plastic keyboard was thrown in the trash the moment Steve Jobs announced the iPhone.

I heard about the RIMM lawsuit, it was the first time I heard about BlackBerry being a product of the somewhat funnily named "Research In Motion"...

If you're ever been on Wall Street, you'll see guys checking their Blackberry's every minute or so since email is being "pushed" into their email boxes constantly. They don't have to "pull" it out of their account the way we do by logging into our services. So, RIMM has a very affluent loyal installed base. They do however worry constantly about Nokia et al and now a possible new kid on the block--Apple.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

I'd love to use an Apple iPhone, it looks incredible, but until it has the enterprise features (wireless calendar/email/address book/etc sync from Exchange) it's not really an option for most business users.