iChat Video Woes

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi folks - we thought we had this problem licked, and then it's back again. Here's the info:

My daughter and I have Macbooks with iSight. When we are both at home, we can video chat just fine. When we are both at her apartment, we can vieo chat just fine. When I am at home and she is at her apartment (or the library), we get error messages saying that the other one hasn't responded. Of course the other one is trying franticaly to respond.

Any idea what's going on? We're going through AIM. I can video chat just fine with two other people from my home, so I'm guessing the problem isn't me. But she's tried from two different locations now, with no luck.

Help!!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Wired or wireless?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Wireless. All ports opened according to the Apple White Paper.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Sorry - forgot to add that we tried bypassing the wireless firewall issue by plugging in. No difference. Sigh.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    mccrabmccrab Posts: 201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Allison View Post

Sorry - forgot to add that we tried bypassing the wireless firewall issue by plugging in. No difference. Sigh.

Could be a bandwidth problem. Here are a few things to check:

(1) Do you both have good quality, high speed internet connections?

(2) You could try setting bandwidth limit (Preferences -> Video) to 100 or 200 as a starter

(3) Do you both have .mac accounts? If so, try these instead of AIM
  • Reply 5 of 5
    ak1808ak1808 Posts: 108member
    Hi Allison,

- if you can video chat just fine with other people, the problem is not you

- wirless is not the problem either, plugging in makes no difference

So the problem is with your daughters network:

- switch off her Firewall on the Mac, if it is enabled

- make sure all relevant ports are open and forwarded to her IP address at the router that connects her to the internet

An alternative solution might be to try Skype:

In my experience Skype does a better job of tunneling through firewalls than iChat.