isquint vs. Handbrake

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Every one seems to have different views on which is best, but what are the actual pros and cons of each?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    iSquint: Simple, converts videos you download, doesn't rip DVDs

Handbrake: Perfect for ripping DVDs
  • Reply 2 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Handbrake encodes and rips at the same time. isquint is just an encoder. I prefer to use a separate ripper and isquint over handbrake because I had a bad experience with Handbrake - audio cut outs and rips slowing down half way through.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    How do you encode a DVD with iSquint? I didn't think it could take VIDEO_TS files.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

How do you encode a DVD with iSquint? I didn't think it could take VIDEO_TS files.

Yeah, I'm certain it supports video_ts. If not, you just rip as a vob as it definitely supports that.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    bit of a daft topic

isquint is for encoding video, handbrake is for ripping dvd to video.

you can rip from dvd straight to a usable video format, but i personally prefer to rip with handbrake at 100% quality and then convert with isquint

as soon as handbrake rips to h.264 well i'll use it exclusively. if it had the option of encoding video files, it'd dominate my video work
  • Reply 6 of 8
    as best as i see, there is no need for conversion after using handbrake. the .mp4 are exactly what the ipod takes and are really good quality too.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chirho View Post

bit of a daft topic

isquint is for encoding video, handbrake is for ripping dvd to video.

you can rip from dvd straight to a usable video format, but i personally prefer to rip with handbrake at 100% quality and then convert with isquint

as soon as handbrake rips to h.264 well i'll use it exclusively. if it had the option of encoding video files, it'd dominate my video work

Handbrake does h.264. Do you have an old version?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    iSquint just streamlines FFMPEGX, so, it can handle VIDEO_TS, just differently. Handbrake will take an entire DVD's video_ts files and make one movie file, while iSquint would process each video_ts file separately. I like them both, for different reasons. For anything I'd consider firing up FFMPEGX to encode, I try iSquint first. I use Handbrake for DVDs and disc images.