made the switch ....

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
i've just purchased a imac g3 400ghz 256mb ram as was wondering if i should upgrade to tiger now or wait for Leopard??? will it run leopard ????

it's currently running os9

its got a 10gb hard drive and i paid £60 for it off ebay

i know its a lowly start but i cann't wait to work my way up the ladder

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Does your G3 have a DVD drive? Tiger comes on a DVD and Leopard definitely will. Also, I just did an install of Tiger on my dad's G4 tower and it took about 4 GB of HD space if I remember right. Overall, I would say to just wait for Leopard to come out. I would imagine that an announcement of a release date within the next month. Tiger is a sweet operating system but Leopard will be worth the wait.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I wouldn't base your assessment of Tiger (if it even runs on your machine) on an iMac G3 400. It is likely to run very slowly and the graphics will be sluggish at best. Wait 'til Leopard comes out then buy the cheapest Intel Core Duo you can find (eBay or new). Then you'll really see what OS X is all about!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by carlito View Post

i've just purchased a imac g3 400ghz 256mb ram as was wondering if i should upgrade to tiger now or wait for Leopard??? will it run leopard ????

it's currently running os9

its got a 10gb hard drive and i paid £60 for it off ebay

i know its a lowly start but i cann't wait to work my way up the ladder

• Reply 3 of 6
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    carlito,

Welcome to the mac world, sort of. Your system is pretty far back there in the evolutionary track, but even then you can get some sense of what macs are all about. Hard to beat 60 quid I guess, but you really need to get into the G4 machines, and now the intl-macs to get the benefits many of us get all efusive about here.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Leopard does not support G3 chips. I tried to install my ADC copy on my iBook G3 800mhz with 384MB RAM as my test computer but it said it was not compatiable and required G4 or greater. So Tiger will be as high as you can go.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    uhhh wow. I really dont think your first Mac experience should be a G3. I have one from waaay back and it is just slow as hell. I eventually got too frustrated to use it and went to using my PC again.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Yup, Leopard won't run on the G3 chips. Probably let them hack out all the old software vector code, since they can guarantee the presence of a SIMD unit now.

Look on eBay for a cheap Tiger disk - make sure it is full install and not a Restore disk. You could also run Panther on that machine and it might actually be faster with the memory you have. You can probably get a shrink-wrapped Panther disk for almost nothing.