Spaces and Beryl

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
It would be nice if spaces wasn't playing catchup with beryl. beryl does some amazing things, and it would be really cool if spaces could do some of them.

if you're wondering what i'm talking about just go to youtube and search Beryl.

and "it's just eye candy" is not an excuse to dismiss this stuff...much of what goes on in os X could be chalked up to "eye candy."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I disagree.

The "eye candy" in OS X is inevitably a cue for what's going on: genie effect shows where the window is going, the little "poof" of smoke is for things that aren't currently present but not thrown away, dashboard is about being a different work "surface" that "floats" above your standard desktop (hence the ripples when you drop new stuff on it), etc. You can argue about the taste or consistency of these cues, but they are cues.

Looking at that video of Beryl all I could thing was "why"? Why would I want a window to turn into pixie dust from the bottom up? What does that convey? Why would I want windows that shimmy and distort when I move them quickly? Is that telling me something useful about the status of anything?

How does a rotating cube (that lets me see the back of other desktops, no less) make better sense than Apples implementation of Desktops? Isn't it a lot easier to see what I've got going on in 2D space than being obliged to "rotate" a cube? Which apparently is suspended in some kind of video game hell?

And why, of why, would I want to be able to whip icons on my desktop around like beads on a string, or fling them to the far corners of my screen?

This is UI as video game, and it's wildly impractical and inefficient.

Rather than wishing that Apple would "catch up", I dread that Core Animation will lead to this kind of promiscuous use of gratuitous effects.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    dmberdmber Posts: 204member
    no one would be forcing you to implement any of the effects, drama queen.

what i want is to be able to physically pick up a window and move it to a different face of my desktop-cube. productivity instances that you (and i) conveniently forgot to mention.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    I quite like eye candy, but then again, it's my job to be creative and take an interest in things like that! Although I do agree with addabox in the sence that eye candy must be useful and not just there for the sake of it.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmber View Post

no one would be forcing you to implement any of the effects, drama queen.

what i want is to be able to physically pick up a window and move it to a different face of my desktop-cube. productivity instances that you (and i) conveniently forgot to mention.

"Drama queen"?