How to convert GVI (Google Video) files to AVI?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hello!

I use the Google Video application to download and play movies from video.google.com. These movies are saved onto the hard drive with the 'GVI' extension. Is there any application that can convert these files to the AVI or any other format - either paid or free?

Thank you!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I don't know about gvi, but I use the website keepvid.com. While viewing a video in a browser, you can click the keepvid button in your toolbar and it will usually give you the option of saving it in several different formats, including avi. If it's not in the format you want, you can use free apps like ffmpegx or iSquint (on the Mac) to convert it. Those apps may also convert from gvi, but I don't know that for sure.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Thanks for the help!

Does anyone else know a definite answer?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    BRussell just offered it.

I use the KeepVid VideoDownloader 2.0 extension in Firefox.

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2390/

Screen capture of extension in Firefox

Screen capture of the files downloaded

• Reply 4 of 9
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    The handfull of videos I've tried to dl using KeepVid just give me the option for dling a .flv file. Am I doing something wrong?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco

Am I doing something wrong?

No.

It depends on where you're downloading them from.

For example, if you download a video from YouTube, it will only allow you to download it as .flv

I only know of Google Video allowing you to download video(s) in formats other than .flv

I also don't know if it works for all videos.

Google Video is tightly woven with YouTube now for some reason, probably because of Google's purchase of Youtube. A LOT of videos in Google Video search lists now link to YouTube.

Also, videos must fully load at YouTube before you're able to download them. I don't know if it's the same at Google Video.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    thanks!
  • Reply 7 of 9
    An easier way is to choose to save it in the iPod format, as it gives you two choices (even if you have no desire to put it on you're iPod), its a nice mp4 format ready to play in QT, saved start to your desktop
  • Reply 8 of 9
    You need Naevius GVI Converter, the main function of it is to convert Google video files GVI to AVI format.

Steps:

1. Run Naevius GVI Converter.

2. Click "Select" to set the output folder ("D\" for example).

3. Hit "Add..." button and load GVI files ("C\video\\test.gvi" for example).

4. Click "Start" button to convert GVI to AVI format.

5. As result will be file in output folder ("D\test.avi" for

example).
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aryayush View Post

Hello!

I use the Google Video application to download and play movies from video.google.com. These movies are saved onto the hard drive with the 'GVI' extension. Is there any application that can convert these files to the AVI or any other format - either paid or free?

Thank you!

Perhaps I'm missing something incredibly arcane here... but just switching the .gvi file extension to .avi, works for me. Loads just fine under QuickTime with perian installed.