SSID apple extreme "n"invisible

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Perhaps i'm just stupid. But after a weekend of mind-doggling trying....my Windows XP computer just isn't planning to "see" my brand new Apple Extreme. I can adress it via ethernet, configure it, but can't use it because it doesn't appear on the list of available networks. Help much appreciated. Perhaps it is just broken?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Did you run the Airport Utility that's on the CD that came in the box?

Using the AirPort Utility

To set up and configure your AirPort Extreme to use AirPort for wireless networking

and Internet access, use the setup assistant in AirPort Utility. AirPort Utility is installed

on your computer when you install the software on the AirPort Extreme CD.

On a computer using Windows XP (with Service Pack 2):

1 Open AirPort Utility, located in Start > All Programs > AirPort.

2 Select your base station and click Continue.

3 Follow the onscreen instructions to set up your AirPort Extreme and your wireless

network.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pedroloco View Post

Perhaps i'm just stupid. But after a weekend of mind-doggling trying....my Windows XP computer just isn't planning to "see" my brand new Apple Extreme. I can adress it via ethernet, configure it, but can't use it because it doesn't appear on the list of available networks. Help much appreciated. Perhaps it is just broken?

Are you broadcasting the SSID? If you are not broadcasting it, refreshing the available networks won't do you any good.

(Doing this by memory so might be a little off)

Open My Computer

Right Click My Network Places and choose properties

Right Click Wireless Card and choose properties

Should be a Wireless tab in the middle

Manually Enter the SSID you created

Choose your flavor of security you choose and enter the key you gave it.

Should see it now.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trailmaster308 View Post

Are you broadcasting the SSID? If you are not broadcasting it, refreshing the available networks won't do you any good.

(Doing this by memory so might be a little off)

Open My Computer

Right Click My Network Places and choose properties

Right Click Wireless Card and choose properties

Should be a Wireless tab in the middle

Manually Enter the SSID you created

Choose your flavor of security you choose and enter the key you gave it.

Should see it now.

To no avail...

I tried the usual suspects...i think. No SSID. No wrong radio settings that i can see. It remains silent. You know what ? A cellphone picked it up on Wifi. But no computer so far. I'm at the end of my alley...

thanks anyway !
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cake View Post

Did you run the Airport Utility that's on the CD that came in the box?

Using the AirPort Utility

To set up and configure your AirPort Extreme to use AirPort for wireless networking

and Internet access, use the setup assistant in AirPort Utility. AirPort Utility is installed

on your computer when you install the software on the AirPort Extreme CD.

On a computer using Windows XP (with Service Pack 2):

1 Open AirPort Utility, located in Start > All Programs > AirPort.

2 Select your base station and click Continue.

3 Follow the onscreen instructions to set up your AirPort Extreme and your wireless

network.

i did, i did ......

thanks for the attention..
  • Reply 5 of 7
    If your windows machine is 802.11b/g and you are configured in "n only" mode im pretty sure you wouldnt be able to see your netowrk. Make sure you are in a/b/g friendly mode and not just n.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I even thought on that one, but no..... I think i will call the shop. Thanks anyway !
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacSuperiority View Post

If your windows machine is 802.11b/g and you are configured in "n only" mode im pretty sure you wouldnt be able to see your netowrk. Make sure you are in a/b/g friendly mode and not just n.

problem solved, see also other posts about invisible apple extreme: my PC only sees networks from channels 4 to 11. Apple is standard 13, i believe now. Pity for the time lost, they could warn people. The access point now works very fine. Thanks everybody.

Pedroloco