Lionsgate films now available on Apple's iTunes Store

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Lionsgate, the leading independent filmed entertainment studio, and Apple on Monday announced that movies from Lionsgate film catalog are now available for purchase and download on the iTunes Store.

Lionsgate will add over 150 of its flicks to the store in the coming weeks, the two companies said, including titles such as "Terminator 2," "LA Story," "Basic Instinct," "The Blair Witch Project" and "Dirty Dancing."

"We’re delighted to offer these incredibly popular Lionsgate films on iTunes, and look forward to adding even more films in the future," said Steve Beeks, president of Lionsgate. "iTunes lets users download these wonderful films to watch on their computer, TV or iPod, so movie fans can take their favorite Lionsgate films with them anywhere."

Lionsgate’s renowned collection of movie titles available on iTunes will also include legendary action adventure films and thrillers such as "Total Recall" and "Rambo," indie classics such as "Monster’s Ball" as well as perennial favorites such as "Chaplin" and "The Boys From Brazil."

Apple said the iTunes Store features the world’s largest catalog with over four million songs, 350 television shows and, with the addition of Lionsgate, over 400 movies. To date, the store has sold over two billion songs, 50 million TV shows and over 1.3 million movies, making it the world’s most popular online music, TV and movie store.

Movies purchased and downloaded from the iTunes Store can be viewed on a computer, Apple TV or fifth generation iPod and most are priced at $9.99 (US) each. Movies downloaded from the iTunes Store are downloaded in near-DVD quality at a resolution of 640x480 (up to 480, depending on the aspect ratio).

Lionsgate is the leading independent filmed entertainment studio and a premier producer and distributor of motion pictures, television programming, home entertainment, family entertainment and video-on-demand content. Its prolific library includes more than 10,000 titles.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 96
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    It begins
  • Reply 2 of 96
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

It begins

I wish it would hurry up and 'begin' on the iTunes UK store. I'm fed up waiting!
  • Reply 3 of 96
    Lucky Americans!

Ditto the above, but for the Japan Store!
  • Reply 4 of 96
    I'm sorry, what "begins" exactly?
  • Reply 5 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

It begins
  • Reply 6 of 96
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

The movie studios embracing the iTS like the music studios eventually did.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Lionsgate, the leading independent filmed entertainment studio, and Apple on Monday announced that movies from Lionsgate film catalog are now available for purchase and download on the iTunes Store.

How is Lionsgate considered an independent studio?
  • Reply 7 of 96
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

How is Lionsgate considered an independent studio?

Because they distribute indie films?
  • Reply 8 of 96
    Quote:

The avalanche of studio announcements in the days/weeks leading up to to the unveiling of the widescreen iPod.

Disney is in.

Paramount is in.

NBC/Universal is in for TV.

Warner Brothers is in for TV.

Fox is in for TV (and distributes Lionsgate).

Only Sony/Columbia is questionable.

It's on like Donkey Kong!
  • Reply 9 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

I wish it would hurry up and 'begin' on the iTunes UK store. I'm fed up waiting!

++(CanadaStore);
  • Reply 10 of 96
    It's on like Donkey Kong![/QUOTE]

• Reply 11 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

The avalanche of studio announcements in the days/weeks leading up to to the unveiling of the widescreen iPod.

ooh, you mean the widescreen iPod with 30Gig of flash memory?
  • Reply 12 of 96
    Why is there such a holdup to releasing this video content in other countries? Why should it take as long as it does? There's money to be made, I would think they'd be quick to open it up to other countries
  • Reply 13 of 96
    Quote:

Why is there such a holdup to releasing this video content in other countries? Why should it take as long as it does? There's money to be made, I would think they'd be quick to open it up to other countries

I am guessing it has to do with getting approval from everyone involved in the distribution of the content. For example sci-fi network pays for Stargate sg1 and airs it in the us but it is aired in the Uk on a totally different network. I assume that they would need the approval of Sky before they could but the shows for sale on Itunes in the Uk.
  • Reply 14 of 96
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

I am guessing it has to do with getting approval from everyone involved in the distribution of the content. For example sci-fi network pays for Stargate sg1 and airs it in the us but it is aired in the Uk on a totally different network. I assume that they would need the approval of Sky before they could but the shows for sale on Itunes in the Uk.

Basically, yes. Often the rights for something is split up by region or country that the rights holder in each country has to agree to let Apple distribute. Sometimes the rights are alredy split up before production begins.

Even the multinational media distributors that is more or less the same company probably have separate agreements due to taxes and such.
  • Reply 15 of 96
    Nice to see the rollout accelerating. I admit, I was very skeptical of Apple's move into movie downloads... seems there really was an unserved market.
  • Reply 16 of 96
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    A little at a time. Maybe they aren't making a big splash, with everything coming out at one time, but maybe they won't make the same mistakes either.
  • Reply 17 of 96
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Apple really needs to address the whole of Europe when it comes to TV Shows, Movies and real Apple stores.
  • Reply 18 of 96
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Apple really needs to address the whole of Europe when it comes to TV Shows, Movies and real Apple stores.

Why do people keep saying this?

Ireland, you've been in enough discussions about this to know that it has little to do with what Apple wants to do.

It's all a matter of the broken licensing system, particularly outside of the US. At least here, we are a very large market, with one licensing system. Outside the US, Apple has to deal with dozens. Even in the so called "EU", there are many different systems to deal with. Many of those systems are much more restrictive in what they want. Apple has to negotiate with each one of them.
  • Reply 19 of 96
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Mel is right.

Within the US content creation and distribution is often handled by the same company. While around the world content creation and distribution are extremely fractured.

Within Europe several different companies can distribute the same movie or television show. The content creator, the distributor, and Apple have to come to some complex agreements.
  • Reply 20 of 96
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Why do people keep saying this?

Ireland, you've been in enough discussions about this to know that it has little to do with what Apple wants to do.

It's all a matter of the broken licensing system, particularly outside of the US.

Try and use that excuse for the Apple stores.

And I know the licensing set up is complex here, I just wish they would sort it out before 2053.