NAS on OS X

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello all,

I just got my new LaCie Ethernet Mini-disk and after mounting it from an ethernet router, I discovered that it won't take files with the longer file-names that Macs have no problem with but PCs seem to dislike.

I have a 2 macs I'd like to share a network drive with.

Is there a way I can configure/reformat this thing to be a Mac NAS or do I really need to just set-up a dedicated mac for a server? Maybe a Mac mini.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    It is probably formatted using FAT 16 for compatibility. Since this is a NAS, you may be limited in options, but both NTSF and HFS+ can handle longer filenames. Not exactly sure about FAT32, but since you are already reformatting, it can't hurt to try.

EDIT: Never-mind. I just read the manual and there are some serious limitations if you use anything other than FAT32 (the default). Even FAT32 has a 4GB limit. (vs. 2GB for HFS+??? Whatever!)
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Mac OS Extended Format (HFS+) STATS Maximum volume size is 2 terabytes Maximum file size is 2 gigabytes maximum data fork size is 2 gigabytes maximum resource fork size is 16 megabytes maximum number of files = more than 2 billion maximum number of files in a folder is 32,767.

http://www.socaltech.com/iomega_roll...s-0005232.html

However, not all storage devices support HFS+, they probably still use HFS.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I got one of those recently and I'm sure it said it was formatted as XFS.