Powerbook G4 and Water... and a broken heart

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Sorry if this is too long...

I already got a new one (MacBookPro) but can't get over the loss, or give up. So I look for advice, as how to continue from where I'm stuck.

This is the situation.

Water got into my 1GHz Powerbook G4 (aluminum) while it was *sleeping* (on, in other words). And it quit. I took it apart, opened it up and dried it out over some time (days...). And *put* it together while still open. And it did boot (only without the battery, though) So here is the situation at this state: It comes to life, screen and all, but it makes these *sounds* ( on and off...) like when you hit the wrong keys...and the *eject disk* icon pops up on the screen now and then. Also other F-key functions *wave in and out* ghostlike: the F11 function...) I so disconnected the keyboard (while the Mac was on) and connected an external USB/Apple keyboard. No change. I then managed to get up an onscreen keyboard, since the MOUSE PAD still works. The on screen keyboard shows several keys *engaged* : 7, u, k, , (comma) ( a strange diagonal pattern?) . F9 and F10 are also *grey*, but can be disengaged...

My idea was to reset the parameters. Unfortunately, this is done by a keyboard combination on this machine... which is where I am stuck. Isn't there a hardware switch SOMEwhere on the Motherboard???

That said, I don't know if I'm on a probable path at all, thinking that some key-command needs to be *undone*; I'm no expert, other than that I dare to open the box...and use MY common sense. I know I will need anew battery...

And I'd so like to have it work again... I do have all my data (drive works fine) and a nice new mac...still...there is love left.

Any advice to had?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Wow, that is a weird situation - even the external keyboard gives the same stuck keys? I'm wondering if Sticky Keys got turned on - check the Universal Access Preference Pane for clues.

I think shutting down, and then holding down the Power button with the battery out until it either makes a noise or flashes the LED might reset the motherboard on this model. Look at the Support tab at Apple.com keyword CUDA or PMU or Power Management Unit.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

Wow, that is a weird situation - even the external keyboard gives the same stuck keys? I'm wondering if Sticky Keys got turned on - check the Universal Access Preference Pane for clues.

I think shutting down, and then holding down the Power button with the battery out until it either makes a noise or flashes the LED might reset the motherboard on this model. Look at the Support tab at Apple.com keyword CUDA or PMU or Power Management Unit.

Haven't thought about that; I'll try it. Anything...Only I have the drive in a 2.5" drive cabinet at the moment, which is the way I retrieved the data. My (wild?) theory was that those keystrokes...caused by a short rather than *a hand* are somehow *frozen* in transit between the keyboard...and wherever they go to...on the motherboard? Just like certain key combinations *set* your mac in a kind of waiting mode (special characters...) the strange thing is, that (most of) the F-keys work... Desktop Macs have a reset button which I had to use now and then, and which solves A LOT OF problems... Bottom line; I'll never buy a new motherboard... So I'll keep trying!