Apple Gaming System??

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
with the recent news of apple looking for game designers, do you think apple is possibly thinking about releasing a gaming system.

microsoft made the xbox and xbox 360, and apple hasnt really done anything with the video game industry. apple should consider this.

one problem i see is that there already is three very good systems out now and may be hard for apple to compete, but its worth a try right?

apple has gone into most of the digital industried (computer, music, phone, webcam) they should consider the game industry.

if so what would it look like, what would it be called, would it be hd-dvd, or blu-ray?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Great idea!
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Apple would be far better off just making the Mac less laughable as a gaming platform than actually creating a new product.

Still, an Apple console would be awesome..
  • Reply 3 of 7
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by turnwrite View Post

Apple would be far better off just making the Mac less laughable as a gaming platform than actually creating a new product.

That's probably the best idea I've heard in these forums in a year. Not because I'm a big gamer, I'm not, but because that is one of those things that people take into consideration when buying a product. "What it can do". Apple has too many "What it can't do's".
  • Reply 4 of 7
    apple need to have a mac with better hardware for gaming the high of the mac pro with a geforce 7300 with the default $2500 system and high cost FB-DIMMs does not help. as does the desktop i-mac with laptop parts.

Apple needs a system with desktop ram and good video cards. maybe have a sli / cross fire system with a desktop cpu or use AMD 4x4 system.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Great idea but it's too much money and Apple isn't going to try and attack the Big 3 (Nintendo, Sony and MS)

I think they want to make sure that OS X is a decent gaming platform. But making a console would require purchasing a studio and creating a gaming infrastructure which isn't cheap or easy nor one of Apple's core competencies
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I doubt Apple is going to create a gaming machine. Any gaming jobs will most likely be for the iPod or the iPhone (Apple seems to be okay with gaming on these two machines).

As for the Mac Pro being a gaming machine, all it really needs is a better graphics card (rumors say this is coming) and maybe SLI and crossfire for bragging rights. I'm not really convinced they really need SLI or crossfire as I've read reports you get better price/performance from a single card. They've alrready started improving OpenGL, by adding multi-threading. There is alot of gamers already looking at Mac Pros for gaming machines, the only problem seems to be the video card selection.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I bet this is more about casual gaming for the iPod, iPhone, and AppleTV. A larger market than hardcore gaming that does not require expensive hardware.