DigiTimes reiterates claim of 15.4-inch Apple 'MacBooks' in Q2

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
A technology publication situated in Taiwan is reiterating its claim that Apple Inc. next quarter will expand its consumer line of 'MacBook' notebooks to include a 15.4-inch model.

Citing industry sources, the publication said the new model will fill the gap between the company's 13.3-inch MacBooks and the 15.4- and 17-inch MacBook Pros in an effort to boost shipments of the Intel-based notebooks.

MacBook shipments, which enjoyed substantial gains in the second half of 2006, will reach 700,000 units in the first quarter of 2007, according to the report. Meanwhile, expectations for unit shipments for the remainder of the year are said to be 'even greater' following the introduction of the 15.4-inch model.

"Prices for the 15.4-inch MacBook models are likely to be more competitive than their 13.3-inch counterparts, due largely to the relatively lower cost of 15.4-inch LCD panels, and will therefore help push further sales of MacBooks," the publication said.

While iPod and electronics maker Foxconn (Hon Hai) was rumored to have been in the running for the lucrative 15.4-inch manufacturing contract, it was eventually unsuccessful, DigiTimes added. Instead, MacBook Pro maker Quanta Computer is reported to have landed the winning bid and will join Asustek Computer as a second supplier of MacBooks.

The accuracy of the report is currently unknown, as DigiTimes has historically been inaccurate in its predictions on Apple's future hardware directions. However, it should be noted that one of the publication's most recent claims, regarding the use of LED backlit displays in a future MacBook Pro designs, is reportedly accurate.

According to AppleInsider's own sources, Apple next quarter will introduce a revision to its 15-inch MacBook Pro that will mark a gradual transition away from cold cathode fluorescent backlights (CCFLs) and towards LED backlights.

The LED backlight implementation will allow for improved notebook battery life and displays that will maintain their initial levels of brightness longer into their respective life-cycles.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 91
    Maybe I am being dense but I just do not see a large demand for this product. I know I have heard a lot of grumbling for 12 mbp but have not heard anyone asking for a 15 mb.
  • Reply 2 of 91
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    This is good news, I think. Some prospective switchers I have talked to were not in the market for a pro $ystem but thought 13 inches might be smaller than they wanted. Since I was showing them on my 15 inch Ti book, its harder for me to say "13 is enough..."

I hope the price is right!
  • Reply 3 of 91
    Wonder if the 15,4" MacBook will come with integrated graphicscard too? That's sort of what's kept me from buying the MacBook, i'm not convinced yet if the 13,3" MacBooks graphicscard is powerful enough. I sort of wish the MacBook will get revised too, or that there will be a 13,3" MacBook Pro
  • Reply 4 of 91
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Maybe I am being dense but I just do not see a large demand for this product. I know I have heard a lot of grumbling for 12 mbp but have not heard anyone asking for a 15 mb.

It will be the best selling product in Apple's lineup. That's the best selling size of laptop. Apple is the only vendor that only offers 'pro' model in this size and it is quite expensive.
  • Reply 5 of 91
    umijinumijin Posts: 133member
    Apple needs to GET SMALLER with its laptops or it will continue to have lackluster sales in the #2 consumer market in the world - Japan.

These overweight machines, while fast, just don't cut it here, with so many fast and small Windoze laptops on the market.

If ASUS can do it -why can't Apple?
  • Reply 6 of 91
    I agree. I haven't heard much from people about wanting a bigger Macbook, but I hear plenty of people who want a 12" MBP.

Quote:

• Reply 7 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

I agree. I haven't heard much from people about wanting a bigger Macbook, but I hear plenty of people who want a 12" MBP.

They should do both - this kind of thing ain't exactly rocket science

If this is Santa Rosa-based, then it should offer much better graphics than the current MacBook.

• Reply 8 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

It will be the best selling product in Apple's lineup. That's the best selling size of laptop. Apple is the only vendor that only offers 'pro' model in this size and it is quite expensive.

Although, when Apple did 12 and 14" iBooks, the 12" was the bigger seller since the screen resolution was the same on both. I can't imagine they'd stick a 1440x900 screen on a MacBook from the Pro so I'd guess 1280x800 like the 13" MacBook and most other cheap Windows 15" laptops.

So, we're back to the same situation as before except for the fact lots of people find the 13" MacBook too big already.
  • Reply 9 of 91
    Quote:

That's because you've been listening to only the high end, large budget people around here. A new ultra portable isn't going to lure sales and users away from Dell and HP. A consumer 15" model will.
  • Reply 10 of 91
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    There is a demand for the bigger screen 15.4" but with a MacBook price tag. I have had three family members comment on this and two purchased iMac's because they couldn't justify forking out the 15.4" MBP.

Apple needs to make a 10" subnotebook in a bad way. I will glady order first.
  • Reply 11 of 91
    Good news, but digitimes???

the entire macbook thingy will look good if they can put some graphic card ...

same resolution as 15.4" MBP as well
  • Reply 12 of 91
    If it has a low end video card in it, and a decent screen... it could sell good.

If it has a GMA950 and a 1280x800 screen, then well... damn....
  • Reply 13 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

It's the best selling size because of the screen, or cost?

Often times the 14" and 15" laptops can be had for cheaper than the 12" or 13" laptops from the same manufacturer. The challenges involved in making a compact computer drive up the cost.

We know Apple isn't likely to price 15" MacBook below the 13". And we also know iBook 12" outsold 14", despite the fact 12" isn't a popular size (in US anyway). I'd say this is largely due to the lower price point.
  • Reply 14 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JCE10 View Post

Both. 15" notebooks are replacing entry level PCs.
  • Reply 15 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

That's because you've been listening to only the high end, large budget people around here. A new ultra portable isn't going to lure sales and users away from Dell and HP. A consumer 15" model will.

Actually an new ultraportable WILL outsell DELL and HP... OUTSIDE the US, where these brands aren't king and people want compact - particularly in Japan.

A consumer 15" will be so heavy that nobody in Japan will want it, unless they drive everywhere like you do in the US.

And the chatter about 'high end, large budget' being associated with ultraportables is nonsense.

Lot's of Windoze laptops makers are putting out sub-2 kg laptops (under ~4lbs) that are both fast and relatively inexpensive. Even ASUS does, and I think they are the OEMs for MacBricks.... errr MacBooks.
  • Reply 16 of 91
    No 15" MacBook - will bring in the switchers by the hoards IMHO. It further brings the Mac in line with the PC market.

You will have a direct comparison: 15" clunky PC or swish 15 Macbook at +$100-200.

The 14" iBook was not highly specked enough in the eyes of the average potential switcher. Old processor/old screen.

Intel C2D/15" 1280x800 glossy screen, the next Intel IG card - got to be another big chunk of buyers - probably same price as Sony.

The lighter smaller MacBook Pro. Well there's no need for a graphics card on a small machine (you guys will argue there is but you are insane!). There is a niche market of peeps who want less than 1.5kg - but not so many switchers.
  • Reply 17 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JCE10 View Post

Often times the 14" and 15" laptops can be had for cheaper than the 12" or 13" laptops from the same manufacturer. The challenges involved in making a compact computer drive up the cost.

We know Apple isn't likely to price 15" MacBook below the 13". And we also know iBook 12" outsold 14", despite the fact 12" isn't a popular size (in US anyway). I'd say this is largely due to the lower price point.

Think they are usually best selling cuz they are a really good price for the specs. The smaller ones usually cost the same or more, and have lower specs.
  • Reply 18 of 91
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:

You're kidding, right? Lots of people want a 15" MB, myself included.

In fact, one of the few problems with Apple's notebook lineup is that there are relatively inexpensive 15" notebooks on the PC side (i.e. sub-$1000), whereas to get an Apple notebook with that screen size you have to cough up $2000(!).

If Apple does releases a 15" MB, expect it to sell like hotcakes.

• Reply 19 of 91
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by umijin View Post

Apple needs to GET SMALLER with its laptops or it will continue to have lackluster sales in the #2 consumer market in the world - Japan.

These overweight machines, while fast, just don't cut it here, with so many fast and small Windoze laptops on the market.

If ASUS can do it -why can't Apple?

Apple needs BOTH- a 15" MB, and a 'subnotebook' as they're called. You're right, it is an increasingly popular segment of the market.

• Reply 20 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vulcan1 View Post

Wonder if the 15,4" MacBook will come with integrated graphicscard too? That's sort of what's kept me from buying the MacBook, i'm not convinced yet if the 13,3" MacBooks graphicscard is powerful enough. I sort of wish the MacBook will get revised too, or that there will be a 13,3" MacBook Pro

of course it will come with integrated graphics. otherwise, who would buy MBP? remember that MB is for consumers and MBP is for prosumers.