Apple posts updates for Daylight Savings, Final Cut, WebObjects and Java

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
In addition to its second security update of the year, Apple on Thursday also released software updates for Daylight Savings Time, Final Cut Pro, WebObjects and Java.

Daylight Saving Time Update

The Daylight Saving Time Update for Mac OS X and Mac OS X Server addresses recent changes in the way Daylight Saving Time will be observed in the U.S. and Canada beginning in March 2007 and includes the latest time zone information for the rest of the world.

Apple has made the update available for Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger users [8.6MB] and Mac OS X 10.3 Panther users [4.3MB].

Java for Mac OS X Release 5

Java for Mac OS X Release 5 adds support for the latest Daylight Saving Time (DST) and time zone information as of January 8, 2007.

The Java update is also available for Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger users [83MB] and Mac OS X 10.3 Panther users [38MB].

The version for Tiger also delivers improved reliability and compatibility for Java 2 Platform Standard Edition 5.0 and Java 1.4 on Mac OS X 10.4.8 and later, Apple said.

WebObjects 5.3.3

The WebObjects 5.3.3 installer [41MB] updates WebObjects 5.3 systems to observe the Daylight Saving Time (DST) and 2007 time zone changes as of January 8, 2007. Apple recommends the update for all WebObjects users.

Final Cut Pro 5.1.3

Final Cut Pro 5.1.3 [42MB] is a maintenance release that resolves a number of performance and other issues. Under the new version, render files created on both PowerPC-based and Intel-based Macintosh computers now work properly on either type of computer. The update also resolves cases in which cross dissolves did not work as expected in nested sequences containing still images with adjusted motion parameters.

Apple also said Final Cut Pro 5.1.3 adds several commands to the default keyboard layout that were missing in the previous version.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Finally!
  • Reply 2 of 25
    josa92josa92 Posts: 193member
    why do certain applications need new support for daylight savings time? I don't understand... maybe someone could clarify that would be loverly.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    The cross dissolve fix is nice, but it's not good to use too many anyways.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by josa92 View Post

why do certain applications need new support for daylight savings time? I don't understand... maybe someone could clarify that would be loverly.

Because Congress changed the dates when DST go into effect.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Yep, now it is second Sunday in March (March 11 this year), and the first Sunday in November.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    Yay!

They have updated the daylight savings for Western Australia's new summer time (thanks to the US for requiring an update ). No more having to switch time zones to Japan!

This makes a huge difference when using iCal.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by josa92 View Post

It's not certain applications, it is a system update. Most applications should not even be concerned about it because the system should handle it.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Java for Mac OS X 10.4, Release 5... 81.2 MB

Is 81.2 MB normal? I don't remember updates being that big, but I never looked too closely.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Akac View Post

Because Congress changed the dates when DST go into effect.

So how does this line someone's pockets at tax payers' expense, I haven't figured it out yet ...?
  • Reply 10 of 25
    the java update wont install on my macbook, i get an error saying the network timed out, and to connect to the internet and try again, but my internet is working fine, i guess ill try again tomorrow. anyone else with this trouble?
  • Reply 11 of 25
    markmark Posts: 143member
    (Sigh.) I suppose there's no such fix coming for OS 9.

Don't worry, my little Key Lime iBook. I'll still love you...
  • Reply 12 of 25
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mark View Post

(Sigh.) I suppose there's no such fix coming for OS 9.

Yeah, and no update for NeXTStep either. Now my NeXTcube will be out of sync for 4 weeks of the year.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Homestar06 View Post

Java for Mac OS X 10.4, Release 5... 81.2 MB

Is 81.2 MB normal? I don't remember updates being that big, but I never looked too closely.

Java updates are usually pretty big.

Ever downloaded a JVM from java.sun.com? They're usually around 35-40MB. This Java update changes two JVMs (1.4 and 1.5), so 81MB sounds about right.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    Guess OS/2 Warp is S.O.L. regarding D.S.T. as well.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

Guess OS/2 Warp is S.O.L. regarding D.S.T. as well.

Yeah, this seemingly minor issue may well be the final nail in the coffin for unsupported closed-source OSes. Unless the developer communities around them can come up with workarounds like having an application override the OS DST settings for those 4 weeks somehow.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    Did anyone get a gray world symbol (like a flat globe) on boot after installing these updates? I've never seen it before, and I can't see anyone mentioning it on any forums.

Before the gray Apple symbol showed up, there was a gray World logo for a long time before it finally displayed the Apple and continued booting.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

Unless the developer communities around them can come up with workarounds like having an application override the OS DST settings for those 4 weeks somehow.

It's not out of the question. I think I've heard about developer communities fixing that sort of thing in the past, but I don't remember the circumstances, but I think they hacked some system file to do it.

The embedded systems will probably get a software update by the integrator, if the OS company or the developer community doesn't produce a software update.

That said, I have an old CNC machine still in daily use whose clock is off by nearly three decades and it really hasn't caused any problem.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdj21ya View Post

Did anyone get a gray world symbol (like a flat globe) on boot after installing these updates? I've never seen it before, and I can't see anyone mentioning it on any forums.

Before the gray Apple symbol showed up, there was a gray World logo for a long time before it finally displayed the Apple and continued booting.

Could that be the NetBoot symbol?

• Reply 19 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sthiede View Post

the java update wont install on my macbook, i get an error saying the network timed out, and to connect to the internet and try again, but my internet is working fine, i guess ill try again tomorrow. anyone else with this trouble?

Same here with my MBP. Timed out and gave me the little red exclamation mark next to the check-box in Software Update. Went throught the Daylight Savings Update and Security Update just fine.

Anyone else having trouble?
  • Reply 20 of 25
    I got a red circle with an exclamation point next to the iTunes update and one of the security updates and when the installs finished it said something like "Some of the updates could not be unpackaged properly" or something.