What are we Reading?

135678

Comments

  • turnwriteturnwrite Posts: 372member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post


    Some people need to try decaf, especially since the thread is titled what are we reading and not let me critique what you are reading and tell you why it and possibly you suck.



    Nick



    Ack.. Sorry.. \
  • shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Good times all around.
  • turnwriteturnwrite Posts: 372member
    How about Orson Scott Card, anyone read his stuff? I am reading "Magic Street" right now, and in the past have liked "Speaker for the Dead."
  • kingofsomewherehotkingofsomewherehot Posts: 3,994member
    I like O.S.Card ... hmmm... never wrote it like that .... OS C ... possibly related to OS X ?
  • bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 1,719member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by turnwrite View Post


    How about Orson Scott Card, anyone read his stuff? I am reading "Magic Street" right now, and in the past have liked "Speaker for the Dead."



    Read a good bit back in the day. Did you read Xenocide? It came before Speaker. I liked em both in diffferent ways.
  • turnwriteturnwrite Posts: 372member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post


    Read a good bit back in the day. Did you read Xenocide? It came before Speaker. I liked em both in diffferent ways.



    I liked the whole trilogy, really. Think Speaker was first tho..
  • bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 1,719member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by turnwrite View Post


    I liked the whole trilogy, really. Think Speaker was first tho..



    D@MN. I hate to say fool things. I ment to reccomend Ender's Game. Thats the one I liked best. (Though Speaker was good.) I was less interested in Xenocide, but it is a cool name for a book, there is no way arround it.

    Thanks for the quick correction!
  • turnwriteturnwrite Posts: 372member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post


    I ment to reccomend Ender's Game. Thats the one I liked best. (Though Speaker was good.)



    Yeah, Ender's Game was good too. Apparently there's a movie of it in production. I think it would lend itself rather well to a movie.
  • slewisslewis Posts: 2,080member
    Just Read:

    iCon: Steve Jobs: The Greatest Second Act in the History of Business

    and

    iWoz: Computer Geek to Cult Icon: How I Invented the Personal Computer, Co-Founded Apple, and Had Fun Doing it



    Now Reading:

    The Audacity of Hope



    And Politics still isn't my thing, but even though I can't vote in this next election quite yet, I'm 100% behind this guy.



    Sebastian
  • blackbird_1.0blackbird_1.0 Posts: 724member
    Star Trek: Crucible: McCoy: Provenance of Shadows

    Star Trek: Crucible: Spock: The Fire and the Rose

    Star Trek: Mirror Universe: Glass Empires
  • turnwriteturnwrite Posts: 372member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post


    Just Read:

    iCon: Steve Jobs: The Greatest Second Act in the History of Business

    and

    iWoz: Computer Geek to Cult Icon: How I Invented the Personal Computer, Co-Founded Apple, and Had Fun Doing it



    I flipped through iWoz at Barnes & Noble the other day, it seemed mildly entertaining but I wouldn't buy it until it's out in paperback. As for the Steve Jobs book, I haven't read that one, but found "The Second Coming of Steve Jobs" to be an interesting and well-written biography of him.



    Not sure about the Audacity of Hope, is it interesting? I don't really know very much about Obama and would be interested to learn more..
  • turnwriteturnwrite Posts: 372member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 100mph View Post


    Just finished:



    1984



    Great book. You read Animal Farm?
  • 100mph100mph Posts: 256member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by turnwrite View Post


    Great book. You read Animal Farm?



    No. I'll check it out. Thanks!

    Did you see Notes on Nationalism?
  • justinjustin Posts: 403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Justin View Post


    Apple Mac's Indesign.



    It's about time





    Now on page 6.



    It's hard going!
  • turnwriteturnwrite Posts: 372member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Justin View Post


    Now on page 6.



    It's hard going!



    Is that a book about the basics of InDesign? That's some good software..
  • justinjustin Posts: 403member
    That's it - this is the Dke McClelland tome with the DVD-Rom.



    The self-aggrandissement of his style really wind me up and slows me down as I get hot under the collar putting up with him. Just having his self-portrait on Figure 1 is enough to turn me off it. This is what he says:



    Quote:

    "Fortunately for us users, the tool [Indesign] with a future just so happens to be really great. No, I take that back. Not really great - outrageously, unbelievably, profanity-inspiringly great. That's why I want you to put this book down for a moment - if not now, well then, when you get amoment - and pat yourself on the back. You made a wise decision the day you decided to take on InDesign."





    The fucking moron. What a waste of one whole paragraph! I'd pay an extra £1.00 to edit out such crap! If he could just get on with the tutorials.



    Sorry - that was Page 3. I'm over it. Really I am. Page 7 now.



    Yes - I like Indesign - it just looks attractive to use. I have Adobe Framemaker (Windows) and Desktop Publisher, but this is my first software for Apple. I'm using Aperture as well with Photoshop and it's so beautifully smooth flicking between screens and Indesign. Just really lovely - no, I take that back. It's really awe-inspiringly profanity wreckingly fantastic! ;P
  • slewisslewis Posts: 2,080member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by turnwrite View Post


    I flipped through iWoz at Barnes & Noble the other day, it seemed mildly entertaining but I wouldn't buy it until it's out in paperback. As for the Steve Jobs book, I haven't read that one, but found "The Second Coming of Steve Jobs" to be an interesting and well-written biography of him.



    Not sure about the Audacity of Hope, is it interesting? I don't really know very much about Obama and would be interested to learn more..



    The iWoz book is very entertaining, it's like reading it right inside his mind.



    THe Steve Jobs book is highly recommended, and the Second Coming of Steve Jobs was one of it's sources, but all of it's sources can be found at the book of the book if you're interested, and it's the best lesson in business I ever recieved.



    The Audacity of Hope, well nothing about Politics excites me so I'm taking my time. But if you're still undecided on a canidate, or you just want a better look at Barack's view on America, then you'll find it worthwhile.



    Sebastian
  • turnwriteturnwrite Posts: 372member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Justin View Post


    That's it - this is the Dke McClelland tome with the DVD-Rom.



    The self-aggrandissement of his style really wind me up and slows me down as I get hot under the collar putting up with him. Just having his self-portrait on Figure 1 is enough to turn me off it. This is what he says:





    The fucking moron. What a waste of one whole paragraph! I'd pay an extra £1.00 to edit out such crap! If he could just get on with the tutorials.



    Sorry - that was Page 3. I'm over it. Really I am. Page 7 now.



  • turnwriteturnwrite Posts: 372member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post


    The Audacity of Hope, well nothing about Politics excites me so I'm taking my time. But if you're still undecided on a canidate, or you just want a better look at Barack's view on America, then you'll find it worthwhile.



    It looks like the sort of book that uses a lot of words to say nothing. But I shall probably read in anyway, just to get a clearer picture of what Obama is like. I know very little about him.
Sign In or Register to comment.