iBook G4 HOT left side..

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
hey my ibook g4 warms up a bit on the bottom left hand side. is this normal? it gets fairly hot underneath too..

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    yep... that's normal.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    is it safe to run it like that for long periods of time?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wintertime_love View Post

is it safe to run it like that for long periods of time?

yep. go right ahead (maybe uncomfortable on your lap though)
  • Reply 4 of 5
    That's where the hard drive is located, so yes, this is normal.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Speaking of hot macs...(please avoid jokes about sexy computers)

I just got back from a hot battery adventure and was going to post about it. But since this thread has hot in the title (in caps too), I thought this would fit.

No, it wasn't my MacBook, it was my pre-G3 PowerPC. Like many batteries before it, my pre-G3 computer's memory battery died, and rather than dealing with the people at our local Radio SHACK (literally)*, who can't seem to find anything I need, I made myself a big bundle of battery to set outside the case and wired it in.

Just a moment ago, hours after moving the computer to a new home, I realized that my "special" battery was VERY hot. I detached it before I got to enjoy leaks/explosions though. I can only assume that I shorted something while moving it, because I kind of tore the wires out quickly...

Anyway, since I missed the opportunity to buy one of the first rev. "hot off the line" MacBooks, the Mac gods have bestowed me with a faulty battery of my own making. I humbly accept fate.

*Sorry, tried to work this minor detail in three times, and failed. So here it is -- the Radio SHACK (literally) is technically in a nearby town (5 min. drive). Also, the town I live in has a population of just over 100 last time I checked, so it isn't crazy not to have a Radio SHACK (this is getting old) here.