Automator Folder Action

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I just found this pro tip on the apple web site which seems really neat, but I can't get it to work properly.

http://www.apple.com/pro/techniques/automator/

The automator action is attached to a folder and then anytime a picture file is copied into the folder, it will create a thumbnail of the picture. However for me it just keeps going creating a thumbnail of the thumbnail it just created and so on. How can I get it to work like described?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The most useful plugin ever created, I use, and that's the "Make Desktop" plugin.

In Automator select Finder in Library panel, now choose two options from the Action panel, firstly "Get selected Finder items", and secondly "Set the Desktop Picture". Now choose "Save As Plugin", call it "Make Desktop", and choose Finder Plugin in dropdown menu. Now when you see a picture that you like in the Finder, or on the desktop, right click, select Automator from the contextual menu and then choose Make Desktop. Hey presto that image becomes your Desktop picture. I love this one.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WhiteRabbit View Post

I just found this pro tip on the apple web site which seems really neat, but I can't get it to work properly.

http://www.apple.com/pro/techniques/automator/

The automator action is attached to a folder and then anytime a picture file is copied into the folder, it will create a thumbnail of the picture. However for me it just keeps going creating a thumbnail of the thumbnail it just created and so on. How can I get it to work like described?

I am having the same issue with the copying of the copying of the copy.

In relation to this though... where an we find more useful automator scripts? I have tried using automator and just can't get into it... but I did that Make Desktop one and it's grerat. How many more great ones are out there?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    This guy is head of the Automator team over at Apple.

This is one of the best things ever. Once this is set up you can send an email to your Mac from anywhere in the world with a certian word in the title and your Mac will go to sleep.