Leats play the "What if" Game...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
What if Apple has complete virtualization built-into Mac OS X Leopard? If they do that, they will completely blow out the need for Parellel, they will completely and utterly destroy the need for ANY software that allows you to have Windows on a Mac.

But something else: Wouldn't Microsoft throw a HUGE lawsuit Apple's way? Even if it wouldn't be illegal -- MS wouldn't like it, and they would try to stop Apple, wouldn't they?

This is why I don't even listen to the rumors of "virtualization" in Apple's OS. Unless, of course, you'd have to buy a copy of Windows to do it -- then MS would just chuckle. (but it still would kill third-party offerings -- so I still don't think it will happen).

But I just wanted to see if you guys think it would be illegal or what?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Hasn't somebody from Apple already officially confirmed there will be no built-in virtualization in OS X?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikef View Post

Hasn't somebody from Apple already officially confirmed there will be no built-in virtualization in OS X?

Yes.

And if by virtualization you mean the ability to run Windows software without Windows, it will never happen. It would likely destroy any desire to program for the Mac OS at all.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    You can't run Windows software without Windows... to duplicate Windows OS code to allow a program to run would infringe on MS's copyrights. But MS would be perfectly happy to sell more copies of Windows. I doubt they really care if it's running on a Dell or an Apple... as long as the user paid for a legitimate license.

That said, I would love to see a Parallels type of virtualization built into OSX... unfortunately, I have a need to run a couple of items that just won't work outside of Windows. But re-booting is a lame way to do it
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Yes.

And if by virtualization you mean the ability to run Windows software without Windows, it will never happen. It would likely destroy any desire to program for the Mac OS at all.

But would it be legal...
  • Reply 5 of 11
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macintosh_Next View Post

But would it be legal...

Microsoft has generally had a rather neutral position to WINE. This could change if such a technique becomes more common?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Despite the popularity of Parallels, I think most Mac users still don't need nor care for running Windows apps. Let the people who need the capability buy Parallels and let Apple concentrate on core OS X.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

Despite the popularity of Parallels, I think most Mac users still don't need nor care for running Windows apps. Let the people who need the capability buy Parallels and let Apple concentrate on core OS X.

True.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Yes. Phil Schiller. Several times. "Boot Camp is our solution."

However, it'd sure be interesting if Apple was able to implement the ability to save your OS state into RAM and fast-user switch between multiple OSes...

Not counting on it for Leopard, though.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    donnydonny Posts: 231member
    Check CrossOver (a WINE port by VMware) out here:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/31/c...-apps-in-os-x/
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hobbes

However, it'd sure be interesting if Apple was able to implement the ability to save your OS state into RAM and fast-user switch between multiple OSes...

This is a feature that most peope (myself included) would never use. I'd be happy for Apple to not put any effort into it.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Check CrossOver (a WINE port by VMware) out here:

CodeWeavers, not VMware.

VMware does a full virtualization package for OS X currently codenamed Fusion.