Pull DVR Content to your Mac

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ok, here is the question. I know that there is an Application called iRecord that allows you to get DV content from your DVR as it is playing. However I am looking for something that gets the data AFTER it has already been recorded.

Anyone know of anything out there?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Is it a TiVo? If so, you can connect to it through its web interface.

https://************/nowplaying/index.html

Replace the asterisks with either the IP address of the TiVo's access point (the USB wireless that you attached to it), or the TiVo's Bonjour address.

You will need the Media Access Key to authenticate.

After the file is downloaded, send me a PM and I will give you a Cocoa app that I wrote that will convert the .tivo file to an .mpeg file that you can play in VLC.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

Is it a TiVo? If so, you can connect to it through its web interface.

https://************/nowplaying/index.html

Replace the asterisks with either the IP address of the TiVo's access point (the USB wireless that you attached to it), or the TiVo's Bonjour address.

You will need the Media Access Key to authenticate.

After the file is downloaded, send me a PM and I will give you a Cocoa app that I wrote that will convert the .tivo file to an .mpeg file that you can play in VLC.

Actually, it is not a TiVo. It is a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8000 that I got from my cable company. Any advice would be most welcome.

• Reply 3 of 4
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston View Post

Actually, it is not a TiVo. It is a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8000 that I got from my cable company. Any advice would be most welcome.

I might be switching to one of those cable-company DVRs, but what I have heard so far is that they aren't too reliable. How does yours work? I am always looking for reports on the different models. Is it a dual-tuner and includes the digital converter box?

Anyway, I am not familiar with that unit, but there might be some useful help in the posts that I have seen on the net about using the FireWire SDK that Apple includes in their developer tools. I believe that is how the iRecord application works.

Since TiVo encrypts their files, when we transfer a file from the TiVo we have to decrypt it. There is software for that and that is what I used to write my Cocoa app. If the SA unit uses the same encryption, it might work.

What I would advise is to search on "FireWire SDK" and some other terms like DVR or Scientific Atlanta, etc.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

I might be switching to one of those cable-company DVRs, but what I have heard so far is that they aren't too reliable. How does yours work? I am always looking for reports on the different models. Is it a dual-tuner and includes the digital converter box?

Actually, mine has given me very little problems. It records a lot of content, and it works rather well for me. It is a Digital Converter and DVR all rolled into one, so that makes it nice.

Quote:

Anyway, I am not familiar with that unit, but there might be some useful help in the posts that I have seen on the net about using the FireWire SDK that Apple includes in their developer tools. I believe that is how the iRecord application works.

Since TiVo encrypts their files, when we transfer a file from the TiVo we have to decrypt it. There is software for that and that is what I used to write my Cocoa app. If the SA unit uses the same encryption, it might work.

What I would advise is to search on "FireWire SDK" and some other terms like DVR or Scientific Atlanta, etc.

I know about that. However the limitation with that is that it intercepts the stream as it is playing. Which can work, I guess. However, I wanted to grab the files from the DVR itself, instead of having to intercept a stream.