Apple snatches new advertising director from Nike

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Inc. has lure Rebecca Van Dyck, the longtime global account director on the Nike business at Wieden + Kennedy, away from the advertising firm and appointed her its new director of worldwide advertising, an online report said Wednesday.

Citing sources, AdWeek said Van Dyck has already begun operations at her new position at Apple.

"We are a huge fan of hers here, and she left on great terms," a representative from Wieden told the publication. "Her job at Apple was a 'can't-pass' opportunity."

In her 12 years at the independent Wieden agency, Van Dyck reportedly worked exclusively on the Nike brand. During her last four years at the firm, she was awarded global oversight for the flagship business," AdWeek reported.

Apple last year spent $285 million in U.S. measured media, nearly double the $150 million it spent in 2005.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    mmmmmm ...

"Get a Mac, Just Do It"

maybe not

oh yeah... first post woot woot
  • Reply 2 of 23
    Good news. I hope this signals an increase in their *advertising* worldwide, Macs especially. It's long been time to expand the heartland out of the US and over all of the first world and then some. Nike have done a very nice job with their long history of that. Time for Apple to really go big.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Hopefully she has the brains to not ignore Europe too. Oh, and where the fuck are the Apple stores.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    these are the dumb arses who were responsible for the wildly stupid 'MAJOR THREAT' ad campaign that Nike eventually apologized to everyone for:

the ad campaign:

http://www.sublimited.net/skateboard...at_ripoff.html

the apology:

http://www.nike.com/nikeskateboardin...ter/index.html
  • Reply 5 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Hopefully she has the brains to not ignore Europe too. Oh, and where the fuck are the Apple stores.

na na na na na ner ner.... Australia has Apple Stores soon, go baby, go baby, go baby, w00000000t...!!
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stilltron View Post

these are the dumb arses who were responsible for the wildly stupid 'MAJOR THREAT' ad campaign that Nike eventually apologized to everyone for:

the ad campaign:

the apology:

Apple Advertising has always been a misnomer (?right usage of word?) of sorts. IE, visionary and seminal at times, fracked and insulting at other times.

But Nike is a fracking GLOBAL POWERHOUSE. And they have seriously cracked the Asian, SouthEastAsian, Japanese market. Australia/NewZealand too. They know how to get there.

In SouthEastAsia for example, it's all about the football (soccer) -- competition from Adidas, but World Cup FIFA Soccer, English and European leagues, Nike and Adidas have managed to tap into foorball (soccer) mania in Asia and SouthEastAsia as a common language to push a lot of Nike and Adidas products -- which are affordable but just a little more expensive to be "Nike" and "Adidas" -- since it's all so cheaply manufactured in Asia/China anyway, pretty solid global reach with Nike. Apple needs to figure this shit out. They can't carpet bomb US-based marketing to other locales. Nike can storm US and Australasian markets, but they figured out India, China, Asia, Japan, SouthEastAsia, and Europe too. Apple has a bit of growing up to do, hope these are promising steps moving forward.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

Apple Advertising has always been a misnomer (?right usage of word?) of sorts. IE, visionary and seminal at times, fracked and insulting at other times.

But Nike is a fracking GLOBAL POWERHOUSE. And they have seriously cracked the Asian, SouthEastAsian, Japanese market. Australia/NewZealand too. They know how to get there.

In SouthEastAsia for example, it's all about the football (soccer) -- competition from Adidas, but World Cup FIFA Soccer, English and European leagues, Nike and Adidas have managed to tap into foorball (soccer) mania in Asia and SouthEastAsia as a common language to push a lot of Nike and Adidas products -- which are affordable but just a little more expensive to be "Nike" and "Adidas" -- since it's all so cheaply manufactured in Asia/China anyway, pretty solid global reach with Nike. Apple needs to figure this shit out. They can't carpet bomb US-based marketing to other locales. Nike can storm US and Australasian markets, but they figured out India, China, Asia, Japan, SouthEastAsia, and Europe too. Apple has a bit of growing up to do, hope these are promising steps moving forward.

Hear, hear
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stilltron View Post

the ad campaign:

the apology:

What are you talking about? Did you even bother to read the apology? It said that Wieden and Kennedy had nothing to do with it, it was done inhouse by Nike Skateboarding.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Um.... doesn't anyone think Nike might take umbrage at this? Sure, their account with W+K doesn't rest solely on one person, but still. And to top it off, isn't someone from Nike on Apple's board of directors?
  • Reply 10 of 23
    k.c.k.c. Posts: 60member
    Apple Inc. has lure Rebecca Van Dyck?

Another article with typos because you don't use spellcheck.

What's up with that ?
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Hopefully, this means the end of 'Get a Mac' ads.

I can't stand the contempt for Windows, nor do 95% of people who use Windows.

With only 2% of computers worldwide, Apple should be more humble, show its friendly ease of use and try to 'seduce' potential Mac buyers who use Windows. That's Marketing 101.

• Reply 12 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

With only 2% of computers worldwide, Apple should be more humble, show its friendly ease of use and try to 'seduce' potential Mac buyers who use Windows. That's Marketing 101.

Lol. You really have no idea what you are talking about, do you? The 'Get a Mac'-ads are a huge success. Being humble has never worked really in advertising. And don't forget, they are really funny!
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Um.... doesn't anyone think Nike might take umbrage at this? Sure, their account with W+K doesn't rest solely on one person, but still. And to top it off, isn't someone from Nike on Apple's board of directors?

I had to look up "umbrage". Damn, you wordsmithy you....
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Quote:

It could be something that Apple needs to address by getting some Nike experience with regard to *global* expansion and appeal.

At best, it's a US thing with GetAMac and people in the US love it, people outside are like, well, okay, but WTF?

At worst, it's a US thing with GetAMac and people in the US are divided on it, some think it silly, like, two guys talking, and I want to buy a computer because this "Mac" guy is like so cool and what not?? ...

It's a huge debate. We have no real data regarding how successful the ads really are.

I would say the "Cancel or Allow" is the best one, while the "Sitting In A Box" one is real abstract. Even the "Cancel or Allow", that would only work for people that have *already* purchased Vista -- in other words, your target audience would be people that have already upgraded their OS, or most likely, bought a new computer with Vista and then realised what a crock it is.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Does anyone find it coincidental that her firm is Wieden + Kennedy and she probably became acquainted with Apple during the Nike + iPod project?

Did they wine + dine her? Did they give her the ol' dog + pony show? Throw her the smoke + mirrors? I sure hope her ads are clever + informative!

On another note, there are two Nike ads that seemed to disappear immediately, but I liked them. One, a few years ago, featured a series of quotes from Ralph Waldo Emerson's essay "Self-Reliance." The other featured a famous female distance runner being accosted by a Texas-Chainsaw-Massacre-like maniac, and she outruns him while he doubles over in exhaustion.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Hopefully it means we'll have some commercials highlighting features/programs in Leopard. Sure you gain some interest by some people but you can't keep feeding them the same crap (the current ads). Show us something new and enticing. Something that makes us go, "Damn, now I gotta check that out."
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Quote:

Even the "Cancel or Allow", that would only work for people that have *already* purchased Vista -- in other words, your target audience would be people that have already upgraded their OS, or most likely, bought a new computer with Vista and then realised what a crock it is.

So if I'm running a lame old windows os and thinking about upgrading to Vista I'm not going to think twice after seeing this ad? Or maybe my pc is really old and I'm thinking about upgrading to a new pc. Oh, but it will come with Vista, damn!

I think Apple knows exactly who they are appealing to with this ad and it's brilliant. Those who have already shelled out the bucks for vista or a new pc are not about to pitch them and buy a mac. It's those who are about to upgrade that might think twice.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Barabas View Post

Lol. You really have no idea what you are talking about, do you? The 'Get a Mac'-ads are a huge success. Being humble has never worked really in advertising. And don't forget, they are really funny!

Define success. They may be popular, but that doesn't necessarily equate to sales. Where's the proof that sales are going through the roof because of some lame "Let's tape a webcam to a guy's head!" commercial?
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Quote:

I would say the "Cancel or Allow" is the best one, while the "Sitting In A Box" one is real abstract. Even the "Cancel or Allow", that would only work for people that have *already* purchased Vista -- in other words, your target audience would be people that have already upgraded their OS, or most likely, bought a new computer with Vista and then realised what a crock it is.

True story: An executive acquaintance of mine specifically cited the "Major Surgery" ad as one that caught his attention and a week after we spoke, he went out an bought the 24" iMac... so, I guess it's working.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Really smart move on Apple's part.