Num Lock problem

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi,

I saw this post:

Hey, I bought my macbook pro back in march when they first came out. I never had to use num lock until recently, but its never worked on my laptop! I push numlock and the nothing is registered into the computer, only the keys like * + - and equals. But all the nmbers don work. can anyone help me out with this one?

And I have the exact same problem... the fn key and the Num Lock do the same here... I reboot from the install CD and it's working fine, so it's not a hardware problem but OS configuration or something...?

Before I reinstall my all system I'd like to know if anyone got a solution...

Ps: a strange thing, if I press, fn+0 it freeze everything and I can't close my windows or what, but if I press fn+5 everything is "unlock" so it seams that those are assigned to some other short cuts or what...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    On Apple laptops, the numlock key turns the keyboard into a number pad. You should see numbers on the O and P keys for example.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Yes I know that's my problem... it only give me access to the * - = + but the numbers aren't working (and it's the same if I use the fn key or the Num lock)... I had a PowerBook G4 before this MBpro CD2 and I never had such a problem...

And as I was saying, I've been trying everything (from the system pref, to reset the keyboards shortcuts and so on). I finally reboot from the CD and then I found out it's working... so, or it's a software creating a shortcut conflict (but even if nothing is running I got the problem) or it's a system bug or configuration... but I can't find what it is...???

I'll have no other choice but to re-install my all system if I can't find why... but it's annoying I'd like to understand the problem...
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Ok for those of you interrested in the solution to that problem:

it comes from a setting in system pref / universal access / mouse and Trackpad :

If the Mouse Keys in On... thats's your problem... just turn it off and it will work again... ;-)

Thanks to the guys from Macbidouille forum...

cheers

b.