Use G3/G4 PowerPC Case as a PC case? Project.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I had an idea for a project.

I was thinking of finding a good price on a G3 or G4 PowerPC tower and using it to put a AMD 1.53GHz based computer inside, instead of the boring PC case it's in right now. I love the G3 and G4 PowerPC casings.

Does anyone know if the PowerPC cases are compatible enough physically to handle a PC setup inside? I will be able to provide all the internals, just want to use the case itself.

Let me know.

Andrew

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    That's be awesome. I wouldn't mind doing that to a mac mini.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    What form factor is the PC? Full ATX? There's always room to fit a micro ATX, but Full ATX might be a challenge with it's 6 PCI ports.

Also, to the guy who wants to PC-out a mac mini, all the PC boards I'm aware of that can fit in the mac mini are are expensive than a new mac mini.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    The board is a standard ATX board with the standard amount of bus slots (7 or so).

There seem to be many different variations of the PowerPC case that I'm interested in.

Blue + White

Quicksilver

Mirrored doors

Somthing else.

G5 case

The one I would probably want is the blue + white or mirrored door. I like the blue and white cause its so colourfull and really makes me think MAC, esp. with the big apple on it. The big 'gauddy' handles on top and bottom (for feet) are totally off the wall compared to a standard PC case.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

What form factor is the PC? Full ATX? There's always room to fit a micro ATX, but Full ATX might be a challenge with it's 6 PCI ports.

Also, to the guy who wants to PC-out a mac mini, all the PC boards I'm aware of that can fit in the mac mini are are expensive than a new mac mini.