Games...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I wish to know where all the games have gone since buying my imac. I used to enjoy tomb raider, tycoon games, quake etc. Where can I get mac versions of these, or even demos?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    You'll find them in your bum.

Just a bit of humor, try here. I'm not a gamer, actually Europeans tend to be more into console gaming than PC gaming.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You'll find them in your bum.

Just a bit of humor, try here. I'm not a gamer, actually Europeans tend to be more into console gaming than PC gaming.

PC gaming isn't that great. I don't understand why people will spend thousands just to get slightly prettier graphics. The worst part of PC gaming though is the OS you have to run the games on.

Sebastian
  • Reply 3 of 8
    insidemacgames.com
  • Reply 4 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Aspyr handle quite a lot of the ports:

http://www.aspyr.com/product/search?platform=1&page=1

Macsoft are ok too:

http://www.destineerstudios.com/macs...c_listing.html

The reason to go PC gaming though is not that the experience is that much better (though the games do run faster) but the sheer volume of available games and price is far better than the Mac platform.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Load a version of BootCamp for OSX, mind you it has to be XP SP2, and then you can load and play all the PC games you want. I had a similar problem, but since have realized that despite the fact that games aren't Apple's stong suit, it surpasses the Windows architecture in speed and durability.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Aspyr handle quite a lot of the ports:

http://www.aspyr.com/product/search?platform=1&page=1

Macsoft are ok too:

http://www.destineerstudios.com/macs...c_listing.html

The reason to go PC gaming though is not that the experience is that much better (though the games do run faster) but the sheer volume of available games and price is far better than the Mac platform.

The Sheer Volume of 3 Genres: RTS, MMOs, and FPSs. And I compare it to a dedicated game console, personally gaming on any computer isn't that appealing.

Other then that, there isn't much worth playing on the PC.

Sebastian
  • Reply 7 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

The Sheer Volume of 3 Genres: RTS, MMOs, and FPSs. And I compare it to a dedicated game console, personally gaming on any computer isn't that appealing.

Other then that, there isn't much worth playing on the PC.

You're right, I tested quite a few games just to see if they would work and to be honest, the majority of them I just got fed up within a short time.

The problem is that there are the odd few games that I like that aren't available on the Mac: Need For Speed Undergroud, Tomb Raider legend, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time etc, Fahrenheit, Psi-Ops, Half-Life 2 and even the ones that are available are either too expensive or difficult to find. Then you have to deal with software compatibility issues.

I was against the PC gaming when I was into the PS2 because there are no load times or driver problems and it's easy to separate work from games but there's something about mouse and keyboard gaming that I miss from a console.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

You're right, I tested quite a few games just to see if they would work and to be honest, the majority of them I just got fed up within a short time.

The problem is that there are the odd few games that I like that aren't available on the Mac: Need For Speed Undergroud, Tomb Raider legend, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time etc, Fahrenheit, Psi-Ops, Half-Life 2 and even the ones that are available are either too expensive or difficult to find. Then you have to deal with software compatibility issues.

I was against the PC gaming when I was into the PS2 because there are no load times or driver problems and it's easy to separate work from games but there's something about mouse and keyboard gaming that I miss from a console.

Well an addiction to the Mouse and Keyboard certainly doesn't help. But all of or most of those games can be found on consoles.

Sebastian