Current hardware with Leopard?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
How will the current line of hardware fare with the requirements of Leopard? I'm a UNIX guy and will generally use my mac for connecting to other UNIX machines via ssh along with running multiple parallels sessions. The current MBP has an Atheros a/b/g/n card so its great for network vulnerability assessments too.

I screwed around with Vista Premium and Office 2k7 via MSDN last month and was not impressed. Although my IBM T43 with 2gb ram ran it fine, with Aero, certian things were broken etc etc, my encrypted thumbdrive launcher would not work, VM ware was not "supported" even the newest release etc. I am in a justification loop since I sold my Imac G5 6 months ago. I'm hesitant to purchase a Mac with Leopard and without Tiger due to the potential unforseen issues with such a new OS and no fallback plan.

Who was around for the Jaguar > Tiger release? Were there issues with moving to the new OS or was is smooth and everthing "just worked"

Do we think that all of the features in Leopard with work on a 17" MBP C2D with 2gb ram?

Thanks for your assistance,

phtb0y

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by phtb0y View Post

Who was around for the Jaguar > Tiger release? Were there issues with moving to the new OS or was is smooth and everthing "just worked"

I'm sure it was pretty smooth. I don't recall any problems. Leopard may be different though depending on how ambitious it is.

You can probably expect that some software will have issues due to new APIs - software like Parallels and VMWare are probably the worst for updates because they are among the most complex software you can get but updates should be soon after it's released.

Leopard has a lot of nice features for developers though like application scripting with Python and Ruby and the Xray tools. I think that with stronger developer tools, we should see some really high performance and stable software for Leopard.

Quote:

Do we think that all of the features in Leopard with work on a 17" MBP C2D with 2gb ram?

They'll all work on all of the current Mac lineup right down to the Mac Mini. Core Animation works on every Mac that supports Core Image. My guess is they'll use multi-threaded OpenGL to help it along.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Good stuff! Parallels says they are Leopard ready so thats good news. I will have some FreeBSD development to do in a virtual machine along with the need to run Windows since Nokia only offers PC-Suite for that OS and I want to get the most out of my N95 when they release it. Sometimes I think that Nokia and Apple are betting each other on how long they can make the public wait before they move on to purchase from the competition. But.. that would be a topic for another forum...

I am excited about the new scripting options available as I actually use my Mac as a real UNIX box.. since it is.. well.. one of the best UNIX OS's ever made! I am considering picking up one of the refurbs as they have been selling at some very reasonable prices as of late. I already have parallels (got it for Christmas) so I'm really itching to burn this gift card and use parallels. Hopefully the guys at Darwin Ports get their act together so I can "make install clean" may favourite security apps.

Thanks again for your reply. Glad to see someone else that uses their Mac for the pretty stuff and the command line!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I'm sure it was pretty smooth. I don't recall any problems. Leopard may be different though depending on how ambitious it is.

You can probably expect that some software will have issues due to new APIs - software like Parallels and VMWare are probably the worst for updates because they are among the most complex software you can get but updates should be soon after it's released.

Leopard has a lot of nice features for developers though like application scripting with Python and Ruby and the Xray tools. I think that with stronger developer tools, we should see some really high performance and stable software for Leopard.

They'll all work on all of the current Mac lineup right down to the Mac Mini. Core Animation works on every Mac that supports Core Image. My guess is they'll use multi-threaded OpenGL to help it along.

• Reply 3 of 5
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    What happened when I bought a refurbished machine after the release of Tiger was that the machine included both Panther and Tiger OS install discs. It's not a bad idea to keep the older OS around, for testing and in case the new OS breaks something. Somewhat older code that compiled on Tiger might not work on Leopard/Xcode 3 without a lot of work. A lot of the example programs on Apple's site doesn't work on Tiger & Xcode 2+. Xcode 2.4 broke even more stuff, that's a pain to fix, especially when I'm trying to experiment with how something works when I'm having to fix it first!
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It was confirmed a while back that Leopard would support OpenGL 2 and thus OpenGL multithreading.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    Quote:

It was fairly smooth. There was your usual few applications that needed updating after/before you moved to the new OS but nothing much.