Why the delay on Apple TV?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
The timing of the Apple TV release has me wondering...

There is nothing, at least as far as I can tell, so 'cutting-edge' in this product that Apple should have any trouble producing it in mass quantities. The product was first shown in September, and little has changed since then; the UI and hardware appear much the same almost 6 months later, we've simply 'learned' more (like the inclusion of the hard drive). So, no hardware constraints, and no last minute software/UI changes suggest that the timing of this product is related to external factors.

Shipping in February? But all orders are marked for the 28th, the last day of the month. Meanwhile, rumors of a delay until March have been denied. It's almost as though 'releasing' on February 28th is significant to Apple?

What could they be waiting for? Surely not 802.11n, since the Airport Extreme is out the door. Leopard? No, even the best-case estimates put it at the end of March/April. An Apple event of some sort? Perhaps, but the invites would already be out if Apple were gathering the press together anytime before mid-March. Why the delay and seemingly 'specific' timing (with Apple Stores reportedly preparing space for a February 28th unveiling)?

HD. 720p video via iTunes, playable on your Mac, Apple TV, and soon (iPhone). Also, playable on a true widescreen iPod with touch controls.

This Tuesday Apple will make a 'quiet' online announcement that it's once again upping the quality of iTunes video, this time to HD. It'll be limited to new content/movies for the time being. Meanwhile, we get a late March or early April event focused on the following announcements:

- New widescreen iPod with Touch Controls and 100GB capacity (shipping in June)

- All video content on iTMS updated to 720p

- Leopard Release Date. iLife & iWork 07 included in the "Full Package"

and one more thing: new PowerMacs with new enclosures.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Who said there was a delay? Apple said February. It's still February.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    AppleTV already does 720p.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I've no reason to think about getting an Apple TV, if I don't want to go to the trouble of transcoding video files to work with it, the only video I can download that will work directly with it are music videos or video podcasts from iTunes, wowey.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

AppleTV already does 720p.

Brilliant analysis, but had you noticed that there is currently NO 720p content for it? (other than your own photos)...

If you pay attention to the Keynote, Steve uses the word "Streaming" when referring to checking out the top movies on iTunes; could it be a rental service for streaming movies is in the works?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sport73 View Post

The timing of the Apple TV release has me wondering...

There is nothing, at least as far as I can tell, so 'cutting-edge' in this product that Apple should have any trouble producing it in mass quantities. The product was first shown in September, and little has changed since then; the UI and hardware appear much the same almost 6 months later, we've simply 'learned' more (like the inclusion of the hard drive). So, no hardware constraints, and no last minute software/UI changes suggest that the timing of this product is related to external factors.

Shipping in February? But all orders are marked for the 28th, the last day of the month. Meanwhile, rumors of a delay until March have been denied. It's almost as though 'releasing' on February 28th is significant to Apple?

What could they be waiting for? Surely not 802.11n, since the Airport Extreme is out the door. Leopard? No, even the best-case estimates put it at the end of March/April. An Apple event of some sort? Perhaps, but the invites would already be out if Apple were gathering the press together anytime before mid-March. Why the delay and seemingly 'specific' timing (with Apple Stores reportedly preparing space for a February 28th unveiling)?

HD. 720p video via iTunes, playable on your Mac, Apple TV, and soon (iPhone). Also, playable on a true widescreen iPod with touch controls.

This Tuesday Apple will make a 'quiet' online announcement that it's once again upping the quality of iTunes video, this time to HD. It'll be limited to new content/movies for the time being. Meanwhile, we get a late March or early April event focused on the following announcements:

- New widescreen iPod with Touch Controls and 100GB capacity (shipping in June)

- All video content on iTMS updated to 720p

- Leopard Release Date. iLife & iWork 07 included in the "Full Package"

and one more thing: new PowerMacs with new enclosures.

Perhaps manufacturing issues....
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Brilliant analysis, but had you noticed that there is currently NO 720p content for it? (other than your own photos)...

If you pay attention to the Keynote, Steve uses the word "Streaming" when referring to checking out the top movies on iTunes; could it be a rental service for streaming movies is in the works?

It streams content from a mac. Apple's business model has revolved around customers downloading movies and music to own, not stream or rent. There's no evidence that will change anytime soon. As for 720p content, it will happen when it's ready and the costs are right, not because you are wrongly deluding yourself into it.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    People are crying out for high def movies in the iTunes store, but when they get them they'll be crying out about how long it takes to download them. And by the way I hope nodoby will mention Cringely, because his theories are quite franky insane.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

...or movies that you encode yourself. AppleTV is no more exclusive to iTunes store content than the iPod is. In any case, because AppleTV supports 720p already, it wouldn't need to be delayed to support it if it came to the iTunes store, would it?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

...or movies that you encode yourself. AppleTV is no more exclusive to iTunes store content than the iPod is. In any case, because AppleTV supports 720p already, it wouldn't need to be delayed to support it if it came to the iTunes store, would it?

They would delay (or hold back) if the timing was close simply because Apple TV will be a motivator for a lot of people to buy iTunes content, people who would be pissed if only a week or two later that same content was made available in 720p. A lot of people were already upset after the move to 640x480.

I presume you mean the VERY small group of people who own and edit HD camcorder content? Or the even smaller group with HD-DVD drives in their PC's? Otherwise, how do you encode a Hollywood film at 720p? Handbrake works with traditional 480i DVD's, and there's no sense in 'upscaling' that content during a RIP.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

They would delay (or hold back) if the timing was close simply because Apple TV will be a motivator for a lot of people to buy iTunes content, people who would be pissed if only a week or two later that same content was made available in 720p. A lot of people were already upset after the move to 640x480.

I presume you mean the VERY small group of people who own and edit HD camcorder content? Or the even smaller group with HD-DVD drives in their PC's? Otherwise, how do you encode a Hollywood film at 720p? Handbrake works with traditional 480i DVD's, and there's no sense in 'upscaling' that content during a RIP.

It is more likely the other way around and Apple is holding back the 720p content for the release of AppleTV. I'm not sure why Apple TV was held off till Feb, most likely to have more content available. Apple has added 3 new studio's this year, and it has taken them time to get them posted to the store after the announcement.

The other possibility is that the studios don't want to give Apple the rights to distribute 720p content online while they are trying to pay for the ongoing transition to HD DVD's and Blue Ray.