connecting two macs remotely over internet connection

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
hi

i am trying to connect my macbook pro to my dad's imac over the internet (both running tiger 10.4.8) so that we can share files. i have got his ip address, 213.78.xxx.xxx, and then in finder choose go>connect to server and enter this ip address. then i get a couple of windows coming up, one of which says 'connecting to server' and the other 'afp connection status' which says looking up '213.78.xxx.xxx'. this runs for a while, then i get a 'connection failed. the server may not exist or it is not operational at this time. check the server name or IP address and try again'.

i can connect to his computer for an ichat video link, so not sure what is going wrong here. both macs have all the services and firewall exclusions checked under 'sharing' in system prefs.

can anyone suggest what i need to do to get this working? i am connected to the internet through a router, so i am not sure if i need to change some setting for the router/forward ports.

thanks

nick.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Why are you making it so complicated?

If you both have .Mac open iChat and choose Send File from the Buddies Menu item, you probably need to add him as a buddy and he add you first. Then send the files. If one or both of you don't have .Mac, use Skype.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nick_harambee View Post

i am trying to connect my macbook pro to my dad's imac over the internet (both running tiger 10.4.8) so that we can share files. i have got his ip address, 213.78.xxx.xxx, and then in finder choose go>connect to server and enter this ip address. then i get a couple of windows coming up, one of which says 'connecting to server' and the other 'afp connection status' which says looking up '213.78.xxx.xxx'. this runs for a while, then i get a 'connection failed. the server may not exist or it is not operational at this time. check the server name or IP address and try again'.

i can connect to his computer for an ichat video link, so not sure what is going wrong here. both macs have all the services and firewall exclusions checked under 'sharing' in system prefs.

can anyone suggest what i need to do to get this working? i am connected to the internet through a router, so i am not sure if i need to change some setting for the router/forward ports.

Check if your router has a firewall and is blocking your AFP port. Your Dad needs personal file sharing turned on - I think you are saying this is the case. Then if your Dad has a router too, he needs to forward this to his local IP address. So in the port mapping on his router, he would map port 548 to say 192.168.1.2.

Also, it helps if he assigns himself a static local IP so that the forwarding keeps working. Routers tend ot have a dynamic pool up to 100 addresses so anything beyond 192.168.2.100 is static. These options can be changed in the router setup.