But hoe ry?

om2om2
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I'm confused how to calibrate my battery on my Mac Book.

The manual says that I should charge fully up... and then use the laptop constatntly until all the power has run out.

But how are you supposed to do this when the settings are set to make the laptop sleep if unused within a minute or 2?

How do I set the settings so the laptp doesn't go to sleep?

And why isn't this extra instruction in the manual?

Thanks.

OM

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Check the Help system. It will walk you through this.

(Hint: Look in System Preferences.)
  • Reply 2 of 6
    om2om2 Posts: 67member
    ok... i'll do that.

but i think u miss my point.

the mini manual that comes with the mac book says you should run the battery out.

it doesn't actually tell you that this is not possible (with the standard configuration) unless you work on the laptop for a few fours non stop.

how is a novice and newbie to macs suppsed to know you have to mke changes to the battery sleep settings??
  • Reply 3 of 6
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    What's odd is that I just read the entire manual that came with my MacBook (three weeks old), and there's zero mention of battery calibration. Energy Saver in System Preferences is mentioned a couple of times, however, as is Mac Help as the first place to go to get answers.

Pointing the new user to Energy Saver in the battery calibration info would be a good idea, but I think it's more important to internalize the Mac Help instructions. In my manual, it's mentioned in the intro to Chapter 1, and it's the first thing discussed directly after the initial hardware setup in Chapter 2. Obviously, they intend for that to be a pointer in case you have further questions.

One thing you'll notice on your Mac is that it doesn't follow the Windows Wizard hand-holding approach to user interfaces. Instead, you'll find your experience is laced with 'teach a man to fish' approaches instead. In other words, there are a few simple lessons that are used in a consistent manner, and let you find what you need, and do what you need, in any situation you're likely to run into. Learn those lessons, and you'll find it a very simple system to use, and one that you can predict the behavior of. Expect to be walked through every detail of every task, and you're going to be disappointed. On a system without regular behavior and predictability, such as Windows, you *have* to be walked through your tasks, because they keep changing how they need to be done from situation to situation. On the Mac? Not so much. Some people find this a little unnerving, but you'll find that in the long run, you'll be much more productive and in control of your system, without struggling.

Mac Help is the first step. You'll find your answers to simple things there, and much faster than waiting for someone on here to answer it for you. We're a helpful crowd, but the trivial questions tend to get ignored, just FYI.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    I think what Kickaha meant to say was that you need to go to the Energy Saver tab in System Preferences, and turn off the slider that says "Put the computer to sleep when it is inactive for: ___." Then set it to whatever the highest power usage is, and leave it.

But he's right. Apple uses the same paradigm for customizing things and addressing problems. Just think, "What did I do in something similar," and 90% of the time that's the same answer for your problem. Get to know the System Preferences options, though. They're great to know how to use.

Mac Help is not that helpful in my opinion, though. They clearly are trying to avoid the impenetrable density of most documentation, and instead give only the most basic information.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    om2om2 Posts: 67member
    guys thanks for the replies.

i do think it's a mistake on mac's behalf not to give full instructions!

regardless... im now mac convert: all future machines bought, unelss there's a compelling reason, will be a mac.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OM2 View Post

I'm confused how to calibrate my battery on my Mac Book.

The manual says that I should charge fully up... and then use the laptop constatntly until all the power has run out.

But how are you supposed to do this when the settings are set to make the laptop sleep if unused within a minute or 2?

How do I set the settings so the laptp doesn't go to sleep?

And why isn't this extra instruction in the manual?

Thanks.

OM

Does it really say "use the laptop constatntly until all the power has run out"? I believe what is meant is to use the laptop until the battery runs out of juice. I don't think it means that you should use the laptop in one session until the battery drains. It just means that you should wait to re-charge it until the battery runs out so as to "calibrate" the battery. After that you can charge it anytime.