Apple research project --- Need information and advice

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi all,

I am currently a final year student and obviously a big fan of Apple. I am doing a research project on How Apple has maintained its innovative lead in the computing industry. However, this is my first research project and there are so many steps for me to complete.

So I find this forum and ask for your help on how to do my project perfectly (well, not perfect but good)

Can any of you suggest me any resource of information or which books I should read to have an understanding of how Apple has been doing since 1997, from what I know is a big step for Apple?

Is there any other idea?

Thank you very much for this,

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    In my opinion Mac's are better then PC's. Apple's resurrection started in 1997 when Steve Jobs returned to Apple. He returned as an intern CEO (aka iCEO), then he became the full CEO shortly thereafter. His leadership and vision, and the talent and vision of the rest of the folks at Apple including the likes of Jonny Ive change Apple for the better. Before Jobs returned Apple was on the verge of obliteration. Jobs quickly took Apple's 40 product matrix (I think it was 40) and made it 10 products, he cut away the fat and focused on the best products. Then he introduced the iMac, that was the start of the resurrection. The first iMac sold a few million, it was clear that something good was happening. Then in 2001 the iPod, that was the big one. The iMac started it off, but the iPod really said to the world; "We are Apple, hello world". The iPod put Apple back on the Map. OS X was introduced around 2000, and that was the embryo for what today now is the most sucure, more stable and best OS in the world, with easy of use and polish that is literally leaps and bounds ahead of Windows IMO. Now the iPhone, Apple makes a phone, wow. The guys that made the iPod are now making a phone, and that phones will work with iTunes. iTunes, I love iTunes, sounds great! Apple TV etc. etc. Now Apple has dropped the word computer it's name. Apple is now the new Sony, it two years time when Apple has a few different types of phones out, Apple might be the new Nokia too. Then TV's and an iTunes iPTV TV Show subscription services, wow! Apple's market share is set for a minor boom, again IMO! As time goes on more and more Apple stores are popping up round the world. When Apple starts to really and truly address Europe with it's retail strategy they could grow their market share considerably. I think if I had to guess, and Apple addressed Europe properly, we're looking at 10% worldwide OS market share by 2010. And that's not including the rest of the segments Apple is pursuing like mobile phones, music, movies etc. Big things are yet to come.

Now my fingers are tired from typing, damn you Apple. How this helps.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    No offense there, sport, but I think he wanted like an actual source and stuff.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I can read, sport.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ntgcmlfu View Post

Hi all,

I am currently a final year student and obviously a big fan of Apple. I am doing a research project on How Apple has maintained its innovative lead in the computing industry. However, this is my first research project and there are so many steps for me to complete.

So I find this forum and ask for your help on how to do my project perfectly (well, not perfect but good)

Can any of you suggest me any resource of information or which books I should read to have an understanding of how Apple has been doing since 1997, from what I know is a big step for Apple?

Is there any other idea?

Here are 4 sites to get you going:

1) http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/RDM...C4AE7E5EA.html

A good 6 part article on the fall and rise of Apple from a noted Apple Evangelist site

2)http://www.ifoapplestore.com/stores/risd_johnson.html

An interesting discourse on the success of the Apple Retail Stores

3) http://computerworld.com/softwaretop...,98779,00.html

A Computerworld article on Apple's attempts to break into the enterprize (business) world

4) http://topics.nytimes.com/top/refere...obs/index.html

Saving the best for last, a New York Times archive of its columns about Steve Jobs containing historical citations to the evolution of the Ipod, Apples's problems and successes over the years--a real archeological dig into Jobs and Apple over the period 1985-2007.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Hi,

Thank you all for giving me advices and valuable information on doing this. I will try to read as much as I can to get a quick view of Apple. And I think, later on, I will again need your help because I know I will have a lot of difficulties in doing this.

Thank you again
  • Reply 6 of 8
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Heh. ntgcmlfu, if you use Boom! liberally throughout your report, you are guaranteed bonus points...!!!

http://www.google.com.my/search?q=st...s+boom!+videos

??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8L39UwOS-Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1scAXzJbDU0
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

In my opinion Mac's are better then PC's. Apple's resurrection started in 1997 when Steve Jobs returned to Apple. He returned as an intern CEO (aka iCEO), then he became the full CEO shortly thereafter. His leadership and vision, and the talent and vision of the rest of the folks at Apple including the likes of Jonny Ive change Apple for the better. Before Jobs returned Apple was on the verge of obliteration. Jobs quickly took Apple's 40 product matrix (I think it was 40) and made it 10 products, he cut away the fat and focused on the best products. Then he introduced the iMac, that was the start of the resurrection. The first iMac sold a few million, it was clear that something good was happening. Then in 2001 the iPod, that was the big one. The iMac started it off, but the iPod really said to the world; "We are Apple, hello world". The iPod put Apple back on the Map. OS X was introduced around 2000, and that was the embryo for what today now is the most sucure, more stable and best OS in the world, with easy of use and polish that is literally leaps and bounds ahead of Windows IMO. Now the iPhone, Apple makes a phone, wow. The guys that made the iPod are now making a phone, and that phones will work with iTunes. iTunes, I love iTunes, sounds great! Apple TV etc. etc. Now Apple has dropped the word computer it's name. Apple is now the new Sony, it two years time when Apple has a few different types of phones out, Apple might be the new Nokia too. Then TV's and an iTunes iPTV TV Show subscription services, wow! Apple's market share is set for a minor boom, again IMO! As time goes on more and more Apple stores are popping up round the world. When Apple starts to really and truly address Europe with it's retail strategy they could grow their market share considerably. I think if I had to guess, and Apple addressed Europe properly, we're looking at 10% worldwide OS market share by 2010. And that's not including the rest of the segments Apple is pursuing like mobile phones, music, movies etc. Big things are yet to come.

Now my fingers are tired from typing, damn you Apple. How this helps.

Teacher: "And thank you, Ireland, for that insightful report. You seem very enthusiastic today, did you take your Ritalin? Well nevermind, I think you did well and you get an A+. Okay kids, playschool is over, your parents are here to pick you up. Don't forget to show them the finger-painting we did earlier. Yes, Ireland, that does look like a MacPro 8core with 50" Apple Cinema Display....Good boy." 8)
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ntgcmlfu View Post

Hi all,

Is there any other idea?

http://www.amazon.com/iCon-Steve-Job...e=UTF8&s=books

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Confiden...595400-3469434

...random stuff.... see what clicks. heh... get it? clicks. muaahah hahahh h he he he