How to create/apply .icns icons

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm trying to create custom icons for some applications and folders, and I'm running into this problem:

If I just create a file in Photoshop and create the icon with Pic2Icon (for instance), I have no control over the various icon sizes. That is, I end up with the Thumbnail-size icon and the other sizes are just Thumbnail scaled down. I'd like to provide different graphics for the other sizes, the way "real" icons do, so the Small size, for instance, isn't just a blurry smudge.

I used Apple's Icon Composer for this. However, I'm not sure how to apply the resulting .icns icon to applications/icons. If I just do the Get Info / copy+paste trick, I end up with the default .icns icon, not the icon that the .icns file actually IS.

I'm sorry if this is confusing, but I'm basically looking for a way to use the icons I put together with Icon Composer. Thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Take a look to our (Shiny Frog) Free Software Imag2icns

http://www.shinyfrog.net/en/software/img2icns/
  • Reply 2 of 4
    great props to img2incs. the tick is to choose the folder option for the out put. then do the copy-paste you mentioned on the icon on the top, not the preview thumbnail. that's where the trick is. should be all set.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by trix180 View Post

Take a look to our (Shiny Frog) Free Software Imag2icns

http://www.shinyfrog.net/en/software/img2icns/

• Reply 3 of 4
    After scouring the Web for several hours I've managed to strap together a workable process for customizing file and folder icons in Mac OS X.

It's unfortunate that the situation hasn't improved in the four and a half years since this thread was created.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidchambers View Post

It's unfortunate that the situation hasn't improved in the four and a half years since this thread was created.

First because it has been 3.5 years and second because you're ignoring Img2Icns entirely, I guess.