iMac vs G5 Tower

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello,

I currently own a G5 Tower with a dual 1.8, 4GB RAM and a 9600 ATI card. I was thinking about selling it for a 24" iMac with the stock options. I wanted to hear other peoples thought on should I sell my G5 or buy the iMac. I feel like I've been screwed by the lack of video card upgrades for for the G5 with the AGP because you can't find a card for a reasonable price. Plus I was thinking about buying a Dell 24 monitor, but if I can get $1200 for my tower I should just buy an iMac instead.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Well... don't leave us hanging...

If you want a comparison, I'd say iMac for general use.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ebby View Post

Well... don't leave us hanging...

If you want a comparison, I'd say iMac for general use.

Well, I mainly you my computer for heavy illustrator use, general email & surfing and web design. My illustrations are made up of 100-200mb ai files.

www.patrickauletto.com

That's my website with my work if you want to check it out. I also do light PS work. I think 3GB of ram would be good for my type of work.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Cool site. In that case I would get the largest screen iMac, a middle-to-low Mac Pro, or a high end G5 on sale. Lots of RAM will help a lot but keep in mind it is cheaper to buy 3rd party RAM and install it yourself.

I have a Dual G5 with 3.5GB RAM and, until recently, rarely needed more. Since I bought Aperture, I wish I had more, but that is another story.