What is setting a proxy???

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey all,

I have a problem getting Safari to connect to the internet. The computer is a G4 Mac Mini going through the built-in modem, using EarthLink as the ISP. Firefox still connects to the internet and I can still get e-m ail off the server, but the Safari browser isn't connecting. The problem is that some application keeps setting setting the Wep Proxy (HTTP) with a server address of 127.0.0.1:8080. I've tried to turn this off, and it doesn't seem to help. If I restart the computer, the Web Proxy is selected again. Does anyone know how I can tell what application is setting the Web Proxy and if there's a way to make it stop ... I'm almost positive this is the problem. I had this same thing happen about two years ago with an iMac G4, where an application was setting a proxy, and IE and Safari didn't work but Firefox did. Anyone know why that is? It's interesting Firefox would ignore a proxy setting where IE and Safari don't.

Thanks for any insight...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Did you install any ad-blockers? These typically work by directing the internet traffic to themselves (i.e. to your machine, 127.0.0.1), so that they can clean it before sending it on.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    agnuke1707agnuke1707 Posts: 487member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

Did you install any ad-blockers? These typically work by directing the internet traffic to themselves (i.e. to your machine, 127.0.0.1), so that they can clean it before sending it on.

This is my grandparents machine, but he swears that he hasn't installed anything. I'll see him in a couple of weeks to double check, but I don't think that's the problem. Any other ideas???
  • Reply 3 of 4
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Well, all you can do is look through the apps and utilities on the machine, and look at the Console and System Logs right after booting to see if there is a message from some app.

I assume that you went to Network->Proxies and deleted the entry there and clicked Apply Now.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

Well, all you can do is look through the apps and utilities on the machine, and look at the Console and System Logs right after booting to see if there is a message from some app.

I assume that you went to Network->Proxies and deleted the entry there and clicked Apply Now.

Yeah, that's the one place I didn't check ... thanks for the head's up, and yeah, I had already tried unchecking the proxy to turn it off, clicking apply now, and locking it to prevent changes, but to no avail. We'll see what I turn up in the logs.

Thanks...