Apple releases iTunes 7.1, QuickTime 7.1.5, more

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple Inc. on Monday delivered a new version of its iTunes media software that bundles support for the company's upcoming Apple TV media hub. The update was also accompanied by new version of QuickTime that contains several security fixes.

iTunes 7.1

"Using iTunes 7.1, you can now enjoy your favorite iTunes movies, TV shows, music, and more from the comfort of your living room with Apple TV," Apple said in a brief set of release notes accompanying the new release.

The Cupertino-based company added that iTunes 7.1 also supports a new full screen Cover Flow and improved sorting options that let users decide how iTunes should sort favorite artists, albums, and songs.

The update is available as a 28MB download for Mac users and 36.1MB download for Windows users.

QuickTime 7.1.5

At the same time, Apple also issued QuickTime 7.1.5, which delivers numerous bug fixes and addresses critical security issues.

Specifically, the release patches eight vulnerabilities in which opening images of various file types could lead to arbitrary code execution and/or an application crash.

For each instance, Apple said it successfully addressed the issue by performing additional validation checks on the respective image files.

QuickTime 7.1.5 is available as a 41.4MB download for Mac users and an 18.6MB download for Windows users.

AppleInsider had previously reported on the imminent release of both iTunes 7.1 and QuickTimes 7.1.5.

DVD Studio Pro 4.1.2 and Backup 3.1.1

Late last week, Apple also issued quiet updates to its DVD Studio Pro and Backup applications.

According to the company, the 9.9MB DVD Studio Pro 4.1.2 update provides important bug fixes and addresses compatibility issues with DVD Studio Pro 4.1 HD DVD projects and Toshiba HD DVD players.

The update, which is recommended for all DVD Studio Pro 4.1 users, also updates the Disc Description Protocol (DDP) 2.1 to DDP 3.0 and the Cutting Master Format (CMF) 1.0 to CMF 2.0, which is required for HD DVD replication.

Meanwhile, the 5.5MB Backup 3.1.1 update is listed as "highly recommended for all users of Backup 3."

The release address several areas of the Backup application, including "Backup and restore with external drives," "Memory management," and "Restore of bundled file types."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 68
    No VISTA support... Hmm... Apple is being quite bold.
  • Reply 2 of 68
    moochmooch Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EruIthildur View Post

That's the first thing I checked for too. Grumble!
  • Reply 3 of 68
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EruIthildur View Post

Isn't there an iTunes patch for Vista?
  • Reply 4 of 68
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    My update works fine.. However, when I go into full screen coverflow, a think black diagonal line runs the length of all of the album artwork... The line disappears in normal sized coverflow... ANyone else notice this?
  • Reply 5 of 68
    kukitokukito Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Isn't there an iTunes patch for Vista?

Yeah. The weird thing is that iTunes worked perfectly with Vista Beta 2, RC1 and RC2 (while Zune didn't). Microsoft broke it with the release version. It still works but with glitches.
  • Reply 6 of 68
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

My update works fine.. However, when I go into full screen coverflow, a think black diagonal line runs the length of all of the album artwork... The line disappears in normal sized coverflow... ANyone else notice this?

No problems here
  • Reply 7 of 68
    willrobwillrob Posts: 203member
    The DVD Studio Pro update was alrady in place as part of the Final Cut Suite update. It gets kind of confusing when theres a fairly large gap between the Suite updates and the individual product updates. You'd think they colud all come out at the same time.
  • Reply 8 of 68
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305042

"Apple has released a new version of iTunes that addresses a number of compatibility issues with Windows Vista. iTunes 7.1 is recommended for use with most editions of Windows Vista, however, Apple is actively working with Microsoft to resolve a few remaining known issues."

:d
  • Reply 9 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

No problems here

I don't think it's a problem per se, but are you sure yours doesn't have this also? It is not super noticeable, just a very thin black diagonal line that divides the artwork in full screen coverflow mode..
  • Reply 10 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

No problems here

Okay, looks like not everyone is having this issue, but there are others at the Apple discussions forum who also have the thin black diagonal line bug... Not a huge issue, but it is annoying.. Hopefully a fix will come soon.
  • Reply 11 of 68
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    I don't see anything out of the ordinary. When you get time post a screenshot of the line. I could be just blind.
  • Reply 12 of 68
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    It's Monday. Tomorrow's Tuesday.

Ahem, The Beatles (fortified with extra-strength FairPlay!!).
  • Reply 13 of 68
    How's the Apply Sort Field function works?

I can't see any difference...
  • Reply 14 of 68
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasonpoon View Post

How's the Apply Sort Field function works?

I can't see any difference...

As an example it allows you to sort Weird Al Yankovic by "W", rather than by the quotation marks in "Weird Al".
  • Reply 15 of 68
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Might this be a precursor to Ireland's magical MacTablet?...
  • Reply 16 of 68
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

As an example it allows you to sort Weird Al Yankovic by "W", rather than by the quotation marks in "Weird Al".

I sorted my Artist column and "Weird Al" Yankovic is at the top.... I don't see a difference
  • Reply 17 of 68
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

I sorted my Artist column and "Weird Al" Yankovic is at the top.... I don't see a difference

If you do a get-info on a single "Weird Al" Yankovic track, you'll see there is a new tab in the info window labelled "sorting". Select that tab, and there are a number of new "tags" (presumably these are stored in iTunes' database file rather than in each individual file's tags) for sorting purposes only. If you put "Weird Al", without the quotes, into the "sort artist" field, then the track will be sorted with the Ws when you sort by artist.

Annoyingly, it would seem you cannot edit the "sort" tags of multiple tracks all at once. You have to edit each file individually. At least the info window has a "next" button.
  • Reply 18 of 68
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

If you do a get-info on a single "Weird Al" Yankovic track, you'll see there is a new tab in the info window labelled "sorting". Select that tab, and there are a number of new "tags" (presumably these are stored in iTunes' database file rather than in each individual file's tags) for sorting purposes only. If you put "Weird Al", without the quotes, into the "sort artist" field, then the track will be sorted with the Ws when you sort by artist.

Annoyingly, it would seem you cannot edit the "sort" tags of multiple tracks all at once. You have to edit each file individually. At least the info window has a "next" button.

oooh. i see. That's a weird feature. I guess it's good to have though. I'll add a sort for my weird al artists (one by one). But realistically, I don't think I'll ever use this feature again.
  • Reply 19 of 68
    applepiapplepi Posts: 365member
    The diagonal black line used to happen to me in regular coverflow view until I upgraded video cards. Now I don't get it. Haven't check with this new itunes though.
  • Reply 20 of 68
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    QuickTime component for Casio EXLIM camera still broken.