Macbook Pro is running really slow

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey...I have a Macbook Pro that I bought in August and today it just started randomly running very slow. I have never had the problem before, and it started around midday today after I came back from using it in class. A couple of things I should note:

1) when it started happenening, I had only 6 GB of my 60 GB Harddrive. I deleted 9 GB to bring it up to 15 GB and I restarted the computer. Multiple times. This did nothing.

2) opening finder goes really slowly, and it takes a long time to access my "movies" section in particular. but this isn't nearly my largest section...music is.

3) sherlock, safari, and ichat are all very slow and they are the only 3 programs that I am running.

4) I have used an adware finder called MacScan and that didn't do much at all.

Does anybody have a suggestion to help me out?

also:

5. I haven't dropped it.

6. It just sits on my desk most of the time and doesn't get too hot. Yesterday I brought it to class (doesn't happen often) and I was very careful with it.

Here is a summary of the tests i ran:

The hardware test, done be resetting and holding D, found no problems. I ran both the normal and extensive tests.

The disk utility that was found by resetting the computer and holding C was not run because I got to a screen that set "preparing to install Mac OSX" and in order to not lose my files, I shut down the computer and started up.

I ran the disk utility that can be found with sherlock and got this. It said all permissions repaired, but the computer is still runnning slow:

Quote:

:

Mar 6 06:16:56: Disk Utility started.

Repairing permissions for ?Macintosh HD?

Determining correct file permissions.

Permissions differ on ./Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Frameworks/InternetUtilities.bundle/Contents/MacOS/InternetUtilities, should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rwxrwxr-x

Owner and group corrected on ./Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Frameworks/InternetUtilities.bundle/Contents/MacOS/InternetUtilities

Permissions corrected on ./Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Frameworks/InternetUtilities.bundle/Contents/MacOS/InternetUtilities

User differs on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Info.plist, should be 0, owner is 501

Owner and group corrected on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Info.plist

Permissions corrected on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Info.plist

User differs on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/MacOS/Flash Player, should be 0, owner is 501

Owner and group corrected on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/MacOS/Flash Player

Permissions corrected on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/MacOS/Flash Player

User differs on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/MacOS, should be 0, owner is 501

Owner and group corrected on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/MacOS

Permissions corrected on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/MacOS

User differs on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/Flash Player.rsrc, should be 0, owner is 501

Permissions differ on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/Flash Player.rsrc, should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rw-r--r--

Owner and group corrected on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/Flash Player.rsrc

Permissions corrected on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources/Flash Player.rsrc

User differs on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources, should be 0, owner is 501

Owner and group corrected on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources

Permissions corrected on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents/Resources

User differs on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents, should be 0, owner is 501

Owner and group corrected on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents

Permissions corrected on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin/Contents

User differs on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin, should be 0, owner is 501

Owner and group corrected on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin

Permissions corrected on ./Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin

Permissions differ on ./Library/Preferences/com.apple.xgrid.agent.plist, should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rw-r--r--

Owner and group corrected on ./Library/Preferences/com.apple.xgrid.agent.plist

Permissions corrected on ./Library/Preferences/com.apple.xgrid.agent.plist

Permissions differ on ./private/var/log/secure.log, should be -rw------- , they are -rw-r-----

Owner and group corrected on ./private/var/log/secure.log

Permissions corrected on ./private/var/log/secure.log

Permissions repair complete

Permissions differ on ./usr/standalone/i386/boot.efi, should be -r-xr-xr-x , they are -r--r--r--

Owner and group corrected on ./usr/standalone/i386/boot.efi

Permissions corrected on ./usr/standalone/i386/boot.efi

The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume

Repairing permissions for ?Macintosh HD?

Determining correct file permissions.

Permissions repair complete

The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    kwondokwondo Posts: 217member
    This may sound very elementary but did you empty teh trash as opposed to "delete to trash"? Just a thought...
  • Reply 2 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Empty your system caches. You can use cocktail:

http://www.maintain.se/cocktail/download.html

In files>caches, select system caches and user caches. In the options, choose kernel caches in the system tab too. Then click clean.

When it's done, reboot your computer so it can rebuild them - it will take slightly longer to start while it does this.

This looks a bit odd though:

Permissions differ on ./usr/standalone/i386/boot.efi, should be -r-xr-xr-x , they are -r--r--r--

Owner and group corrected on ./usr/standalone/i386/boot.efi

Permissions corrected on ./usr/standalone/i386/boot.efi

The permissions on mine are -r--r--r-- and don't need corrected.