Mighty Mouse problems

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have just gotten a mighty mouse from a friend and when I try to scroll down it doesnt work.....it physically scrolls down but it doesnt work. Is there any way to fix this problem..because I fear that it is out of warranty.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    It's a common issue and you should get a better mouse, you won't really have to look far. There is a store near me that is selling mice for about £3 and those mice are better than Apple's. In fact they are better than the £15 M$ mouse I'm currently using. I wish Apple would just buy a company selling good mice and then bundle those mice with the computer.

Solutions to the issue involve banging the mouse hard on the table or wiping the scroller with a damp cloth. I recommend the banging because it also relieves tension about why Apple designed their mice so stupidly.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Eh, I like the Mighty Mouse. When the scroll ball stops working, I get an optical cleaner (those pre-moistened towelettes you get in packages for cleaning eyeglasses) and wipe the hell out of it. That usually fixes any scrolling problems. Banging it upside down lightly on a surface works as well.

So much hate for the MM..tsk.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    I turn mine upside down and wipe the scroll ball with a damp cloth.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Or you simply disconnect the mouse from your computer and press the scroll ball with some, but not too much, force down while scrolling up and down, left and right. After doing this for about 30 seconds, it works again.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I still have a "classic" one-button mouse, but I've used and really disliked Apple's nipple-mouse. I'd prefer if they came up with a multi-touch mouse to replace "mighty".
  • Reply 6 of 8
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    The best way to do this is to keep your hands clean when you are near a computer, but this can obviously be hard, and you still have to clean it anyway.

The sensitivity and small form factor of the nipple-ball require that you clean it every week, without question, by doing what the posters said above. I personally do it daily for 30 seconds, with a damp cloth and a tiny amount of force. I never have problems with it any more, and it's a pretty minor task.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    I've never had a problem with my mighty mouse. I do see a lot of people complaining about it though.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    neyoungneyoung Posts: 26member
    If you end up replacing your MM with a Bluetooth mouse I'd recomend the RadTech BT600. I've been using it for a while and it's really slick. 5 buttons, a scroll wheel, optical, and best of all rechargeable via USB!