Fix The Dock!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014

It irks me that something like shown above could happen. Huge ass spaces between icons like mail and Adium... when iTunes and Firefox are frickin grindin' all up on each other.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

It irks me that something like shown above could happen. Huge ass spaces between icons like mail and Adium... when iTunes and Firefox are frickin grindin' all up on each other.

That kind of annoys me too and I end up arranging the icons to make it look better. I'm quite neurotic about symmetry.

It could be avoidable if they made the spacing based on the opaque parts of the icon instead of just treat all the icons as squares. This would have problems if some icons were really tall and thin like an exclamation mark though as it would make it harder to click.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

That kind of annoys me too and I end up arranging the icons to make it look better. I'm quite neurotic about symmetry.

It could be avoidable if they made the spacing based on the opaque parts of the icon instead of just treat all the icons as squares. This would have problems if some icons were really tall and thin like an exclamation mark though as it would make it harder to click.

Right, but very few dock icons are tall and thin.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

What I woudl give for an OS X version of taskmenubar. With this, I would not longer need the dock AND my work would be easier.

- Mark
  • Reply 4 of 16
    you still use the dock?
  • Reply 5 of 16
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    I'd like to introduce you to:

Quicksilver

Dock Hiding

Command+Tab/Command+`

Exposè

The only thing the Dock is good for is the Trash

Sebastian
  • Reply 6 of 16
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

What I woudl give for an OS X version of taskmenubar. With this, I would not longer need the dock AND my work would be easier.

That's ok if you keep maybe 5 items in your dock but I know a lot of people who have about 50 items in their dock. No way would that fit in that little space on the top menu bar especially when some programs have menus that use up all that space.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball

Right, but very few dock icons are tall and thin.

Yup, that's true. It probably goes back to the way NextStep was again. That dock used square tiles and I think that would have looked odd any other way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dock_(computing)

With OS X's transparent dock, it would probably look better the other way. Choice as always would be a good thing but Apple don't like choice. Choice leads to thinking different and we wouldn't want that would we.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    feartecfeartec Posts: 119member
    I think you guys are getting nuts over this dock thing. The dock is awesome, useful, and shows you what programs are running at a glance. I didn't like Quicksilver because of the fact you have to type something in to it. If you are nuts about symmetry, try to separate each dock icon with a spacer found on Apple's website called dock dividers.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    The dock is amazing, and with Overflow it's even better. I only have the applications that I use everyday in the Dock. I have every other application on my hdd in Overflow broken up into different catagories, great little app. I don't have any extra crap on my computer, I only install what I'm going to use, I know some people that have hundreds of apps installed and don't use 90% of them...waste of money.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

That's ok if you keep maybe 5 items in your dock but I know a lot of people who have about 50 items in their dock. No way would that fit in that little space on the top menu bar especially when some programs have menus that use up all that space.

Actually, what I liked with taskmenubar was that it puts an icon of an opened app in the menubar and then when you click it once, you get that app but if you click it twice, you get that app AND hide all other apps. You only needed one hand to switch between apps (or switch-hide).

You can put other stuff in the menubar with taskmenbar but I never used it much for this.

In addition, it highlights the open app so your eyes only needed to focus in one area to see what app your in, see what's open, and then to aim the mouse vs the dock where you have to scan for tiny triangles.

Taskmenubar was hands down by far the easiest way I have ever used to switch between apps.

The current way to switch between apps is I have to use my left hand to Apple-tab which seems wasteful since I've already got the mouse in my right hand. Regarding the dock, I don't like the way it shows open apps (a tiny triangle). In addition, if your dock is not filled up, there is space wasted at the ends of the dock. And then if you hide the dock to fix this last issue, then you have to point your mouse in a small target area to get it to pop up. This seems so wasteful to me.

I'd rather have Apple make the dock fit all the way across the screen with the option that if you double-click on an opened apps icon, you get that app AND hide all other apps. And then figure out a way to better show the opened apps.

Maybe an improved dock is part of 10.5 (and of course, I hope an improved finder).

- Mark
  • Reply 10 of 16
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    It's not that I hate the dock...

I just don't like how the spacing can get really screwed up. The dock is mighty useful -- and not at all in the way on a 23" cinema display. On smaller computers, I could see how it could get in the way, but then again, there is always the right side of the screen, and shinking the normal size with magnification. Not to mention hiding...
  • Reply 11 of 16
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feartec View Post

I think you guys are getting nuts over this dock thing. The dock is awesome, useful, and shows you what programs are running at a glance. I didn't like Quicksilver because of the fact you have to type something in to it. If you are nuts about symmetry, try to separate each dock icon with a spacer found on Apple's website called dock dividers.

You don't like Quicksilver because you have to type and I avoid the Dock because it requires the cursor.

Sebastian
  • Reply 12 of 16
    macflymacfly Posts: 256member
    please tell me i am overlooking something simple but why cant we lock the dock?

inevitably some icon gets clicked on inadvertently and with a nice 'whoosh!' gets pulled out, only to have to be found again in the App folder and replaced. cant there be a simple click button saying once an icon is in it cant be removed?
  • Reply 13 of 16
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macfly View Post

inevitably some icon gets clicked on inadvertently and with a nice 'whoosh!' gets pulled out, only to have to be found again in the App folder and replaced. cant there be a simple click button saying once an icon is in it cant be removed?

Um, but then how would you remove it?
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macfly View Post

I'm sure you know you can move the dock from the bottom, so yeah haha. The 'whoosh!' problem can be solved by turning off the auto hide. If you lock the dock up, when a window is over it, you can't mess with it. I've never had a problem with the dock and ripping icons off, but some people do complain about it, it makes me wonder lol.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    I have over 40 apps in my dock and it's invaluable...doesn't take up too much room (32 pixel icon size) and everything is available at the click of a button...gotta love the dock.

PS your problem is cause you've got two PHAT icons next to a skinny one...does it really bother u that much?
  • Reply 16 of 16
    hi_qhi_q Posts: 31member
    Turn hiding on, and turn magnification on. Viola. Spaces are gone. :P