g4 v intel

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
just shopping around on ebay for a mini...........

which one do you think would be best ????

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by carlito2 View Post

just shopping around on ebay for a mini...........

which one do you think would be best ????

Get the Intel. Don't even think about the g4.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Get the Intel. Don't even think about the g4.

The g4 have slots only the mac pro has them on the intel side
  • Reply 3 of 18
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    Get a G4 if you can get it for less than $250 otherwise go intel
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Even for less than $250, the G4 would be an absolute waste of money. The difference between my 12" PB G4 to my MacBook is astounding.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

The g4 have slots only the mac pro has them on the intel side

The G4 Minis don't have slots, I think the OP is deciding between a G4 Mini and an Intel Mini. It's true that you can get a G4 tower for the same price as a Mini though. In any case, the Intel machines are far better performance wise but DO NOT GET AN INTEL CORE SOLO MINI!
  • Reply 6 of 18
    before we all jump in, wouldnt it be wise to ask the Original Poster "what are you using it for?"

for iTunes, Surfing, a little..or a lot of word processing Messaging and some iPhoto use, then a G4 is fine... i mean people are still getitng use out of a G3 for goodness sake.

as a "cheap experimental toe in the water, lets see what a Mac is like but spend the least amount of money possible" then i think a G4 works ok as well

the G4 only has 2 USB2 connectors.. (intel has 4) but the G4 also has inbuilt dialup modem.. if thats important.

i would also say DONT BOTHER with a core solo... REALLY!
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trendannoyer View Post

before we all jump in, wouldnt it be wise to ask the Original Poster "what are you using it for?"

True but would you still *recommend* a g4 over an intel mini (core duo)? I wouldn't unless there is no way the OP could afford an Intel mini. Reasons.

1). Far better performance for an Intel mini. Maybe not important now but what about the future.

2). Ability to run Windows much faster than on virtual pc. Boot camp and parrallels are very functional.

3). Apps are becoming Intel only and are likely to continue in that trend. A whole thread was devoted to this topic.

If I had a g4 mini now and it was working fine for me, I wouldn't get rid of it. But in looking for a new machine I wouldn't think of anything but Intel Macs. My 2 cents.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Quote:

True but would you still *recommend* a g4 over an intel mini (core duo)? I wouldn't unless there is no way the OP could afford an Intel mini. Reasons.

1). Far better performance for an Intel mini. Maybe not important now but what about the future.

2). Ability to run Windows much faster than on virtual pc. Boot camp and parrallels are very functional.

3). Apps are becoming Intel only and are likely to continue in that trend. A whole thread was devoted to this topic.

If I had a g4 mini now and it was working fine for me, I wouldn't get rid of it. But in looking for a new machine I wouldn't think of anything but Intel Macs. My 2 cents.

all good points.. but the OPs sig has conflicting info.. it would seem they are using a G3 at the moment, also "looking on ebay" informs me that price is a concern.. but then back to the sig again and one gets the impression they might flat line a creditcard on "new" gear...

im currently mildly looking out for a G4 for a friend of a friend on ebay, its cheap and its not windows, they want it for "simple stuff" for which it is adequately suited IMO.

i think taking the scant info from the OP into account and doing some assumeing, they strike me as being in the position of a lot of others on this board... the "PLEASE Apple would you release something so i can stop this cash burning in my pocket" type ive got some older gear tat id like to upgrade.... i want it NOW and ebay would do.

but on the whole i agree, if you can afford it Carlito2 then go intel CD in a mini or C2D in anything else! i made the move from G4 to intel and its SWEET. the extra core just makes the experience so much better!
  • Reply 9 of 18
    thank you all for your help and thoughts..........

money is an issue but more of an issue is my desire to drop the donkey that is windoze.....

steves RDf has got me bad and i just wanna be part of the crowd

the g3 is great but won't run leopard and thats what i want.

i think i'll just bite my nails a little harder and see what Apple release on Tuesday

thanks once again everybody
  • Reply 10 of 18
    if you plan on loepard then i would go for the intel option if you can even remotely afford it/hold out till you can

but because of the minis restricted video card issues, then if you want the FULL visual goodness that leopard will supply, its "at least" an iMac... which is more cash again

i have been expecting updates to iMac and mini since 9Th Jan... and its a pain in the backside not knowing on the upside, my little intel mini is flying along nicely doing serious amounts of video editing, with no complaints at all!

if you can hold on, then do

and good for you for ditching windows ... feels good dont it
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Trend,

Did you have a g4 mini before your Intel mini?
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:

but because of the minis restricted video card issues, then if you want the FULL visual goodness that leopard will supply, its "at least" an iMac... which is more cash again

There is absolutely no basis of truth in the above statement, unless of course you are writing about the G4 minis.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k squared View Post

There is absolutely no basis of truth in the above statement, unless of course you are writing about the G4 minis.

so why no ripple effect then? in the intel mini?
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Quote:

Trend,

Did you have a g4 mini before your Intel mini?

yep had the G4, my aunt has it now and loves it
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Quote:

yep had the G4, my aunt has it now and loves it

Don't you see a noticble improvement in performance between the intel mini and the g4?
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trendannoyer

so why no ripple effect then? in the intel mini?

The Intel Mini does have the ripple effect. Apple have said that any Core Image compatible GPU will run Core Animation and the Intel Mini is core Image compatible so it will be able to run all of leopard's features.

Quote:

Don't you see a noticble improvement in performance between the intel mini and the g4?

I used to have a G4 Mini and I only upgraded because I knew the Intel Mini would be faster and it is by a long shot for CPU performance. Graphics-wise, they are fairly close. I benchmarked my old G4 powerbook against my Intel Mini and the Mini was 4 times faster and the powerbook was faster than my G4 Mini.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The Intel Mini does have the ripple effect. Apple have said that any Core Image compatible GPU will run Core Animation and the Intel Mini is core Image compatible so it will be able to run all of leopard's features.

so where do i turn it on then?

seriously, i dont know
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:

so where do i turn it on then?

seriously, i dont know

It should be on already. It wasn't available on the G4 Minis but on the Intel machines, you should just drag a widget into place and it will ripple.