Huge iPhone ad dawns on Apple's 32-foot glass cube

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple Inc. on Monday transformed its 32-foot glass cube in Midtown Manhattan into a enormous teaser advertisement for its upcoming iPhone handset.

Workers on scaffolds could be seen draping the semitransparent billboard ad down the entire right side of the glass structure that marks the entranceway to the company's flagship retail store on Fifth Avenue, just south of Central Park.

The ad features the now familiar photo of a hand holding the iPhone and the tag line, "Introducing iPhone. Apple reinvents the phone." It's believed to be just one of several intuitive promotional stunts planned ahead of the iPhone roll-out this coming June.

When asked during a recent technology conference about the company's specific marketing plans for iPhone, Apple chief financial officer Peter Oppenheimer would only confirm that chief executive Steve Jobs was striving to impress.

"Um, Steve and the team have some great plans but I can't share those with you in advance," he told attendees. "I'm sorry."

The Apple Store Fifth Avenue clad in iPhone.

Update: As of Tuesday, Apple has removed the billboard from the south side of the cube. It's unclear when and if it will return.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    tkntkn Posts: 224member
    Seems a bit early for a promo push like that for June.
  • Reply 2 of 40
    zwebenzweben Posts: 75member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Workers on scaffolds could be seen draping the semi-translucent billboard ad down the entire right side of the glass structure that marks the entranceway to the company's flagship retail store on Fifth Avenue, just south of Central Park.

Semi-translucent is redundant. It's either semitransparent or translucent.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    OMG OMG OMG!!

it's teh iPHONE PRO!!

• Reply 4 of 40
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    coming in june. [on june 28th... coming in Mid July!] [on july 20th... Coming early August!] [in early august: Coming soon]
  • Reply 5 of 40
    hugodraxhugodrax Posts: 116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TKN View Post

Yeah but the RDF drives take sometime to warm up and get ready to kick in.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TKN View Post

Apple has successfully started a hype about their new phone, most have heard of it, few have seen or heard much about it. This might be an attempt to build more hype and have more people see what it really is.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Does anybody else think that Steve is gah gah over this device? I can't recall any product Apple's ever released having this much of a lead-up.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    Ad dawns? Say what?

Ooooooooooooh adorns.

[Edit: For those confused I'm playing the words a bit]
  • Reply 9 of 40
    bdj21yabdj21ya Posts: 297member
    No word on this being taken down??? I've read on other sites that it was removed yesterday shortly after being put up. Is it back up now?
  • Reply 10 of 40
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

Does anybody else think that Steve is gah gah over this device? I can't recall any product Apple's ever released having this much of a lead-up.

Might just have something to do with the global phone market being measured in the billions.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    I know! they've taken it down because it inadvertently shows the rumored Apple tablet!

Is it just me or does that thing look huge in comparison with the hand holding it? It looks to be the size of my beloved - sadly expired - HP 41C.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zweben View Post

Semi-translucent is redundant. It's either semitransparent or translucent.

Well spotted!

• Reply 13 of 40
    cougarcougar Posts: 55member
    They'd better put a Leopard ad on the other side. Apple seriously needs to advertise their OS. How many people know Leopard is coming? Not nearly as the amount of people who know about the iPhone. Imagine a giant image of time machine--it could look quite cool.
  • Reply 14 of 40
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Man, look at that thing? Does apple really think people will be buying a phone that's 32 feet tall? I mean, Steve can sell any sort of crap, as long as its got an apple logo on it, but really, a 32 foot tall phone? I don't think I'll be picking one up...
  • Reply 15 of 40
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

Man, look at that thing? Does apple really think people will be buying a phone that's 32 feet tall? I mean, Steve can sell any sort of crap, as long as its got an apple logo on it, but really, a 32 foot tall phone? I don't think I'll be picking one up...

Not without help or a hernia.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

For a long time, Apple didn't pre-announce anything, it was announce & release to stores within days or a couple weeks. Maybe preannouncing in advance of release was started with the Tiger demo.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cougar View Post

They'd better put a Leopard ad on the other side. Apple seriously needs to advertise their OS. How many people know Leopard is coming? Not nearly as the amount of people who know about the iPhone. Imagine a giant image of time machine--it could look quite cool.

Is it coming? They seem to be keeping pretty quiet about it...
  • Reply 18 of 40
    I think Apple missed a great chance to have the cube display back projected images/video.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    I think that Steve will use that 32 foot hand to B***ch Slap Vista!

• Reply 20 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johhny Motel View Post

I think Apple missed a great chance to have the cube display back projected images/video.

It's probably not that hard to do now or at a later date. I wonder what it would take to make it still stand up against direct sunlight.