Front Row - PPC vs. Intel

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Currently Front Row is only supported on PPC systems, but I have to assume it will migrate to the Intel platform when the TV ships. Does anyone know why it's currently PPC only?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by willrob View Post

Currently Front Row is only supported on PPC systems, but I have to assume it will migrate to the Intel platform when the TV ships. Does anyone know why it's currently PPC only?

Huh? Front Row is working it's native charm on my intel iMac, what are you talking about??
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Quote:

Eh?
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Quote:

Because you don't know what you're talking about?
  • Reply 4 of 14
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Let's pile on 'em! YOU FOOL!

• Reply 5 of 14
    mbaynhammbaynham Posts: 534member
    Quote:

Currently Front Row is only supported on PPC systems, but I have to assume it will migrate to the Intel platform when the ?TV ships. Does anyone know why it's currently PPC only?

yeh, sort it out mate. its been native since jan 2006!
  • Reply 6 of 14
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Currently Front Row is only supported on PPC systems, but I have to assume it will migrate to the Intel platform when the ?TV ships. Does anyone know why it's currently PPC only?

Front row only ever appeared on one PPC mac, the final revision of imac g5, every other machine it's on is intel.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
  • Reply 8 of 14
    willrobwillrob Posts: 203member
    Sory, I mis spoke (typed). it's Front Row Enabler that's PowerPC only. Or that's what its author claims:

http://andrewescobar.com/frontrow

But since it's only replacing some frameworks to trick the system into thinking non iMacs are infrared remote capable, I don't understand why I can't patch my Mac pro to run Front Row. My former Dual G4 was patched and it worked well, but no matter how carefully I follow the Enabler's directions it doesn't seem to do the trick. I assume it's as the author states "Power PC based Mac" required.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Simma down nah! Simma down!

See? He meant something else...
  • Reply 10 of 14
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Does anyone know why it's currently PPC only?

You're talking bout Front Row Enabler and you're wondering why it's only PowerPC?

Think about that question and say it again, cause fromn what I know all intel Mac's come with Front Row (besides MacPro)
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Yes, the Intel Macs that Apple approves Front Row for have no problem running it. But Front Row Enabler is a hack to allow other Macs to run it. The hack worked on my dual G4 through Tiger 10.4.8. and now the web site for the hack says it will still work with 10.4.9?proving I can install it.

But after carefully following the directions on the web site, I get a message saying "Front Row cannot be installed on this computer." Unfortunately the author of the hack has closed his forum, so I can't ask him.

If I look through my System's core services, Front Row is there, and I can manually install the bezilservices needed with Pacifist. But the last step of enabling Front Row says No Dice.

I was hoping another Mac Pro user had a way of getting it to work.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    I went back to the developer's web site and looked at some archived pages and found that he addressed my problem with a previous note:

Requirements:

* Mac OS X 10.4.5 or later

* iTunes 6.0.4 or later

* iPhoto 6.0.2 or later

* Core Image capable graphics card

* PowerPC based Mac

Do not use Enabler with Intel based Macs, such as the MacBook or Mac Pro. Using Enabler with with an Intel Mac will damage your Mac OS X system files.
  • Reply 13 of 14
  • Reply 14 of 14
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

I found the solution:

http://www.tuaw.com/2006/11/13/tuaw-...n-the-mac-pro/

Why didn't you start off this thread by asking the Mac Pro Front Row question, people would have help you solved that one