Light Switches in System Prefs

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I just did a fresh install of Tiger (long stroy...) and everything's running pretty smooth except that all but two of my System Preferences icons are showing up as light switches. What's up?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeremylh View Post

I just did a fresh install of Tiger (long stroy...) and everything's running pretty smooth except that all but two of my System Preferences icons are showing up as light switches. What's up?

Post a screen shot of the system preferences window please.

1. Open system preferences

2. Press Apple+Shift+4 and then release the keys (the mouse arrow will turn into cross hairs)

3. Press the space bar once (do not hold it down)

4. The mouse cursor is now a camera. Click the window you want to take a picture of.

5. The picture is saved to the desktop as, "Picture 1.png" (or "Picture 2.png", etc.)

6. Post the photo on a hosting site. I use . It's free and you don't have to sign up at all.

6. Copy the direct image link (this should be the last link of all of the links they give you).

7. Press the image button in the AppleInsider thread poster (looks like a mountain with a yellow background and a sun in the sky).

8. Paste the direct link into the box that pops up. Press ok.

Done.

I might be able to help you out more when you get the screen shot posted.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Thanks for the specific directions, but I know how to post a snap shot ;-)

• Reply 3 of 7
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

Thanks for the specific directions, but I know how to post a snap shot ;-)

Good good. I saw the low # of posts so I assumed I might as well describe it in depth incase you were a noob.

Interesting. At least it knows which icon is which as evident by the very small circle icon at the bottom of the larger lightswitch icon.

RIght now it using the alternate front icon "PrefFile.icns", "CircleBadge.png", and the preference specific icon. It's not a problem with system preferences (the App itself) because the specific preferences icons are not in the System Preferences package. (P.S. those two files I mentioned are in the "Show Package Contents" when you right click (also control+click) on the System Preferences App: Contents > Resources

I'll see if I can find the specific icons.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    It seems that I am missing the .tiff version for the respective preference panes... I have one for Spotlight and CDs & DVDs but not for the others.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:

It seems that I am missing the .tiff version for the respective preference panes... I have one for Spotlight and CDs & DVDs but not for the others.

Have you scanned you HD for bad sectors or repaired permissions?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AquaMac View Post

Have you scanned you HD for bad sectors or repaired permissions?

Okay, this is were I am a noob
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Well, I verified and repeared the disk permissions using Disk Utility. I'm not exactly sure how to check for bad sectors. Could you explain?