AppleTV: Can YOU connect it?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Here's a simple question for all of you potential AppleTV buyers... a question that I think could be a major problem for Apple but maybe I'm wrong. I guess this survey will help determine if it's an issue or not.

Given the fact that most HDTVs (cept for maybe the latest generation) have an extremely limited number of 'HD capable inputs' and also given the fact that most HDTV owners are quite likely to have a cable box **and** a DVD player (and upscaling unit I would hope) as well as one or more of the following devices.... insert game system of choice and maybe even more than one, TiVO and finally an HD-DVD or BluRay.

Connecting this box may very well be a real issue for many.

Dave

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Oh, in that top question... The word DVD is suppose to be DVI.

Dave
  • Reply 2 of 24
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    My A/V receiver has a crap-load of inputs, including 2 HDMI (one of which is in use already). I can still connect a number of sources to my TV.

I might look at getting an AppleTV in the next year or so but I see no huge need in my life to have one right now.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

My A/V receiver has a crap-load of inputs, including 2 HDMI (one of which is in use already). I can still connect a number of sources to my TV.

I might look at getting an AppleTV in the next year or so but I see no huge need in my life to have one right now.

What receiver is that?

I've never EVER heard of a receiver that had 'crap-loads' of HD INPUTS (svid doesn't count) with two or more of them being HDMI and it not cost north of a grand.

If one does exist I'd sure love to hear about it since I really do want it!

Dave
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Hmmm looks like what I thought was an issue (lack of HD inputs) for many current HDTV owners is fixed with a very reasonably priced device (specifically made for the AppleTV by the looks of it)

$99 bucks - well okay sure it's 1/3 the price of the AppleTV itself but it'll allow 4 in and 1 out.

http://www.xtrememac.com/audio/av_cables/switcher.php

Not as elegant as being able to control the switcher from the AppleTV remote itself but beggars can't be choosers.

Dave
  • Reply 5 of 24
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    I am just not an itunes video junkie so I have nothing on my Macbook that should be viewed on appletv. DVD is my preferred media and Netflix is my preferred provider.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

What receiver is that?

I've never EVER heard of a receiver that had 'crap-loads' of HD INPUTS (svid doesn't count) with two or more of them being HDMI and it not cost north of a grand.

It's a Denon AVR-2807, and it's got something like 3 or 4 component and two HDMI inputs. What's more, it upconverts (not "upscale") anything below HDMI (composite, S-Video, Component) TO HDMI.

I've got a VCR, iPod dock, and XBox set up to upconvert to HDMI. Through one of the HDMI inputs I have an upscaling DVD player.

And it IS north of $1000 if you buy from a regular retailer. You can buy it for less elsewhere but I'm not sure Denon will honor the warranty if bought from an unauthorized seller.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    I don't get this poll one bit. I keep hearing this "how do you plug in more than one device to your TV, therefore apple TV is lame" comment in so many threads.

duh, just like any other device with only one or two ports, get a damn switch.

For those that shelled out thousands for HDTV's, another $88 for a good HDMI switch is pocket lint.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...ormat=2&style=
  • Reply 8 of 24
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    The Denon AVR-2307CI offers HDMI switching and 1080P upconversion for under $800.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    a healthy 2:1 have a connector(s) for using the aTV seems the nay-sayers are only that
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

The Denon AVR-2307CI offers HDMI switching and 1080P upconversion for under $800.

Not really. It'll pass through 1080p and upconvert other signals to HDMI (like the 2807), but it won't upscale a 480i/480p/720p signal to 1080p resolution.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

I don't get this poll one bit. I keep hearing this "how do you plug in more than one device to your TV, therefore apple TV is lame" comment in so many threads.

duh, just like any other device with only one or two ports, get a damn switch.

For those that shelled out thousands for HDTV's, another $88 for a good HDMI switch is pocket lint.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...ormat=2&style=

You don't have a wife living with you... Switches suck and are far from friendly and add undue confusion.

- Turn TV on press input button on the remote to INPUT-3

- Now pick up the switcher remote and make sure its set to INPUT-2

- Finally pick up the Apple TV remote and turn it on

- Oh and go back to the TV remote if you need to adjust the volume.

Who's wife, kids, mother, mother in-law, etc etc etc is going to go thru all that to to get something on the TV screen?!?!

Now, before you jump on the multi-function remote ... they're either NEXT TO USELESS or have a price tag of over $200 bucks and for the real usable ones you're talking over 500

Oh and just a word of warning... Most people in the know have been keeping away from the monoprice switcher due to reports of HDMI/HDCP issues that cause the switch to react unreliably or simply don't work at all...

Do the net a favor and stop recommending it as if it's a perfect device since it isn't.... People should be warned before buying it.

It would seem Apple would just rather you DITCH your upconverting DVD player and/or PS3 and put the Apple TV in it's place... Well without a DVD drive and an OS that can play windows games this just isn't an option.

The only REAL option for people who are maxed out with their HD connections is to simply take a pass on the Apple TV.

Dave
  • Reply 12 of 24
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Well, I have mine up and running as best I can. I have it on the wireless network for now. I will hook it up to the wired network as soon as I pick up some Leviton end connectors this weekend.

I have a WPA2, SSID disabled, MAC address filtered wireless network run on my Linksys router. Setup was no problem. Quick and painless. Your Apple TV MAC address is on the outer cover of the box.

The first bummer is everything is in black and white and not color. Yeah, you have to have HDMI or three video inputs (component? video) to your TV, Y - Pb - Pr. My 20 something inch Magnavox has only one Video-in (composite video) or S-Video. So this sucks. I am running in 480i btw.

My 32" Sanyo has the three mentioned above video slots so yeah for that TV but it is in the Living Room and I had really hoped to have this in the bedroom. I may move it after it finishes syncing.

Oh well, at least setup was a breeze.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:

You don't have a wife living with you... Switches suck and are far from friendly and add undue confusion.

- Turn TV on press input button on the remote to INPUT-3

- Now pick up the switcher remote and make sure its set to INPUT-2

- Finally pick up the Apple TV remote and turn it on

- Oh and go back to the TV remote if you need to adjust the volume.

Who's wife, kids, mother, mother in-law, etc etc etc is going to go thru all that to to get something on the TV screen?!?!

Now, before you jump on the multi-function remote ... they're either NEXT TO USELESS or have a price tag of over $200 bucks and for the real usable ones you're talking over 500

Oh and just a word of warning... Most people in the know have been keeping away from the monoprice switcher due to reports of HDMI/HDCP issues that cause the switch to react unreliably or simply don't work at all...

Do the net a favor and stop recommending it as if it's a perfect device since it isn't.... People should be warned before buying it.

It would seem Apple would just rather you DITCH your upconverting DVD player and/or PS3 and put the Apple TV in it's place... Well without a DVD drive and an OS that can play windows games this just isn't an option.

The only REAL option for people who are maxed out with their HD connections is to simply take a pass on the Apple TV.

Dave

I have that switch, it works flawlessly with my Cox HD DVR, Toshiba HD-A1, and Samsung 52" LCD HDTV. I've paired them all with a $119 Harmony 670. One button for Watch TV will switch the switch to the correct port, turn on the TV and the HD DVR....and I'm watching TV. One button for Watch DVD will switch the switch to the correct port, turn on the TV and the HD DVD. Flawless every time. I set this up on my macbook pro through software and downloaded it to the remote through USB. Easy as pie.

Passing on the Apple TV or ANY other device simply because you are maxed out of HD connections is just lame. I actually have two HDMI inputs in my TV but got the switch in anticipation of more devices (i.e. Apple TV).

My wife LOVES this setup, it just works. 1 remote, no brainer 1 click it just works.

The Apple TV will plug in just as easily and add even more value to our home setup.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Dave, there has to be more to come on the Apple TV front, I'm sure that they realize the limitations of the device and download service as it stands. I'm a bit surprised that there were not additional iTMS/AppleTV related announcements this week, though there was a bit today with Sony joining the iTMS TV show market. Then there was the unrelated NBC/News Corp announcement which might bear some fruit for Apple TV devices sooner or later. I think that there is more to come which will make this device very attractive. It may not be what we expect, but there is a lot of power brokering going on with TV content and the internet right now and Apple TV is poised well to take advantage of it with it's "slick" interface (in comparison to the other offerings), Apple's brand recognition, and market availability (coming to a best buy near you next week). Then there are the corporate connections (Disney, Google, etc.) to the various content providers and Apple's proven track record in marketing music, TV and now movies through iTMS.

What we know we will see sooner or later are updates to Apple's computers. It is looking like Leopard is going to be a June release now. There is a special event planed for NAB which would typically be for FCP and possibly Mac Pro release. This could also be a perfect announcement for broadcast deals which might change the formula for Apple TV altogether. I don't know that it is going to happen, but I'm sure that the people at Apple realize that content is going to drive the sales and success of Apple TV, and right now they don't have the winning formula. They have a successful start even before the release of Apple TV, but they have to take it further. This includes moving up to 720p content sooner rather than later. I think that it also has to mean another distribution model other than purchased video which can be accessed by Apple TV, the technology is there for it all they need to do is get the internet access points set up for it and the partnerships for the content to put on it. Whether it is a rental, subscription, or ad revenue model or some hybrid of them I don't know. What I do know is that if Apple can find something that can usher in the next step and has one or two content providers of board to start then others will follow with the success of the service, iTMS has shown us the success of that business strategy in music, TV shows, and in movies.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Quote:

Not necessarily. This one will work quite well for most people and it's only $100. I own its really big brother (the 890) and it works great. I have a feeling you haven't used one before.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

Not necessarily. This one will work quite well for most people and it's only $100. I own its really big brother (the 890) and it works great. I have a feeling you haven't used one before.

I have the 880 and yea its good but the software for it sucks.... but to their credit the software sucks equally on both Mac and PC... But again we''re talking well north of 100 bucks for those.

As for that other unit, I have to admit I haven't given it a shot...

Dave
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @homenow View Post

Dave, there has to be more to come on the Apple TV front, I'm sure that they realize the limitations of the device and download service as it stands. I'm a bit surprised that there were not additional iTMS/AppleTV related announcements this week...

snip

...Apple realize that content is going to drive the sales and success of Apple TV, and right now they don't have the winning formula. They have a successful start even before the release of Apple TV, but they have to take it further. This includes moving up to 720p content sooner rather than later. I think that it also has to mean another distribution model other than purchased video which can be accessed by Apple TV, the technology is there for it all they need to do is get the internet access points set up for it and the partnerships for the content to put on it. Whether it is a rental, subscription, or ad revenue model or some hybrid of them I don't know. What I do know is that if Apple can find something that can usher in the next step and has one or two content providers of board to start then others will follow with the success of the service, iTMS has shown us the success of that business strategy in music, TV shows, and in movies.

Yep I with you 100%

I hope nobody gets me wrong here... I was all for Apple to do something like this ever since (and even prior to) the days of the AMP rumor days... (remember those?)

But I guess I'm just so unimpressed with the (current) implementation...

- Bad connection options for those with their HD connections fully populated.

- "HDTV Only" Hey thats okay by me!!! But on the flip side of the coin we don't have a frame of anything even close to standard def. dvd quality let alone something even closely resembling HDTV. I'm asking myself what was the point of making it HD only. (lets home we'll have that question answered sooner rather than later)

- No way to replace my SD up-converting DVD player (hey I'm really TRYING to find a reason to buy this NOW) but I just can't... Growing pains no doubt... and with any luck 6 months from now (or less I'd hope) all of my issues will become moot... but today things just don't seem too bright. \

Dave
  • Reply 18 of 24
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Quote:

Yep I with you 100%

I hope nobody gets me wrong here... I was all for Apple to do something like this ever since (and even prior to) the days of the AMP rumor days... (remember those?)

But I guess I'm just so unimpressed with the (current) implementation...

- Bad connection options for those with their HD connections fully populated.

- "HDTV Only" Hey thats okay by me!!! But on the flip side of the coin we don't have a frame of anything even close to standard def. dvd quality let alone something even closely resembling HDTV. I'm asking myself what was the point of making it HD only. (lets home we'll have that question answered sooner rather than later)

- No way to replace my SD up-converting DVD player (hey I'm really TRYING to find a reason to buy this NOW) but I just can't... Growing pains no doubt... and with any luck 6 months from now (or less I'd hope) all of my issues will become moot... but today things just don't seem too bright. \

Dave

There are a number of things developing in the industry, mostly uncoordinated right now. The Cable opperators could be in for that competition that deregulation promised but never delivered, but it is a while off for now. Some how, some where, and some one will need to bring about some standards in this delivery mode as well as discover the winning business model or models for the companies that will deliver the content. The one thing that is certain is that the ultimate goal will be to get the content not just on the computer, but also on the TV, phone, and anywhere else that people could watch it. Apple TV's interface backed up by Apple's R&D, presence in the industry, and reputation will help Apple if they move in this direction in stead of just living with a replacement for the DVD player for purchased video. I think that Apple has a plan in this direction, I don't know what it is or when it will come out. I think that parts of it will be coming out soon, it just makes sense. Other initiatives will take longer.

Apple has the technology to do everything that people are talking about for Apple TV, and a lot of it is built into this first generation model even if it is not being fully utilized right now. Other possiblilites will have to wait for the technology to mature and the acceptance of the media industry. I hope that Apple moves some of this out soon and at a good price, enough so that I can comfortable get rid of Time Warner cable.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    HDMI cable arrives today. I hooked it up using Component cables in the meantime. Can wait to remove that cable...takes up way to much visual space--and it won't fit in my cable channel.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Apple TV runs Mac OS X 10.4.7 variant called "Apple TV OS" on a Dothan 1 gHz with nVidia GeForce 7300 Go.

They've been able to get FireFox running on it, and are working on adding Perian to it to play XVID.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sho...0&pagenumber=1