What I think needs to be added to apple TV

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Here is my short list of things that I think need to be added to apple TV in order for it to be a huge success:

1.) Direct access to iTunes store

2.) Free Streaming TV Shows, paid for by adds, but available on demand (much like what the major networks do now on their websites)

3.) Some kind of movie rental scheme

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    All 3 listed above can be done via software update. My software change suggestions:
    • Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC-3) audio codec (and discrete channel audio encoding on appropriate iTunes Store video programmings)

• DiVX and XViD video codecs

• USB port enabled for external hard disk, iPod, and iPhone

These will require hardware changes:
    • 480i video output with support for 4x3 TVs

• 1080p video output and beefier CPU/GPU for 1080p60 video contents

• HDMI passthrough input

• Optional DVR add-on

• Reply 2 of 6
    rongoldrongold Posts: 302member
    Well... since the iPod, the iPhone and the Apple TV all run on OS X, it seems conceivable that content will one day be transferable to each other via a USB connection (as found on the back of the Apple TV) just as it is now with the iPod and a Mac.

I suppose Apple's streaming from up to 5 Macs could eventually include the iPhone and maybe even one day, the iPod itself if released with the more efficient wi-fi standard. But I am just supposing.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    rongoldrongold Posts: 302member
    As far as the optional DVR add on, this is possible to do right now. I have an eyeTV 500 and it captures OTA HD signals from all 5 major networks and then some. The content gets automatically placed in the appropriate spot for streaming/syncing with Apple TV.

All I have to do to record a show is just click a red dot next to a program I may like to see. I can do this from home using the eyeTV software or from the net to program eyeTV while away from home. Seems to be a better solution than TIVO (not having ever actually used TIVO).
  • Reply 4 of 6
    1. Enhance hardware (bigger HDD, etc)

2. Allow two-way streaming (instead of just grabbing information, allow it to send it, too)

3. Create a movie/show rental service in iTunes

4. Allow the device to connect to the iTunes Store

5. Enable content streaming from the store for aforementioned rental system

Then, for future connectivity:

1. WiFi-enabled iPod

2. Utilize iPhone's WiFi to stream and even upload videos/pictures taken with camera
  • Reply 5 of 6
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    AppleTV = sounds like a TV

I've been through this before, but anyway. AppleTV 2.0:
    • 32" 42" and 50" TV's with Apple TV box inside.

• 160, 250 or 500GB hard drives inside.

• AppleTV Edition® remote.

• Plasma, SED or OLED etc. (not LCD, not rear-pro, not projector)

• Slot load standard DVD player. (for the hell of it)

• 1080p

• 24 Watt internal speakers.

• Reply 6 of 6
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvolker View Post

Here is my short list of things that I think need to be added to apple TV in order for it to be a huge success:

1.) Direct access to iTunes store

2.) Free Streaming TV Shows, paid for by adds, but available on demand (much like what the major networks do now on their websites)

3.) Some kind of movie rental scheme

Direct access to the iTunes store may seem logical at first glance, but it's far from it. The Apple TV is another "dumb" device like the iPod that only plays content. iTunes does all the sorting and handles the DRM, and then just sends over a load of data with instructions on how to process it to any device that syncs with it.

I'm going to skip number 2, and for number 3. It would have to be set to expire and I can tell you now that Apple doesn't care for the idea. It would mean more work on FairPlay which is really only good for the content companies.

Sebastian