itunes & DVD's.

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
with Apple going down the road of the Mac being your entainment centre and the apple tv and ipod being it's intagration into your free time, do you think one of the top secret fetures of leopard will be itunes ability to burn your excisting DVD's and then just like your cd's sync them top your ipod or apple tv etc.

it makes sense as they could be drm'd.

Apple know this happen's with mack the ripper etc and it would sell Apple tv's by the bucket load.

this would truly make itunes the entertainment juke box of the time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    The way I see it, Apple would prefer to sell Movies through iTunes rather then let people rip them. By the way, this isn't a "Leopard Feature" because it's an "iTunes Feature" and currently if anyone wants this Feature not only can Apple play it safe and say no, but there are plenty of utilities out there that CAN and are WILLING to do it.

Sebastian
  • Reply 2 of 7
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Software that rips DVDs isn't legal in the USA.

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/s...leID=198001672

I expect Flip4Mac will be getting a lawsuit about Drive-In before long, too.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wmf View Post

Software that rips DVDs isn't legal in the USA.

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/s...leID=198001672

I expect Flip4Mac will be getting a lawsuit about Drive-In before long, too.

Distributing software whose main or sole purpose is the circumvention of DRM is illegal in the US. Use of that software by individuals exercising their fair-use rights (backup, media change) is of debatable legality and has not been tested in the courts.

Drive-in does not circumvent DRM (the CSS on the DVD is not removed when copied to the HDD), and Flip4Mac have implemented a protection mechanism to stop people sharing their rips. Only you can play back rips that you've made. Others cannot play back your rips, and you can't play other people's rips. Drive-in is safe.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by carlito2 View Post

do you think one of the top secret fetures of leopard will be itunes ability to burn your excisting DVD's and then just like your cd's sync them top your ipod or apple tv etc.

Presumably you mean rip, not burn.

And yes, I hope Apple will do this. They could use modern GPUs' hardware encode features to give a reasonable importing performance.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Per the article, DVD Copy Control Association (DVD CCA) is saying that the suit is a about a contract dispute and has nothing to do with fair-use. Flip4Mac may or may not have a concern, depending on if they have a contract with the DVD CCA or not. The MPAA nor any of the others tasked with protecting DVDs want to have the courts rule on the publics fair-use right to personal copying. They are afraid of the Betamax decision and that we, the public, will be granted the right to freely rip our DVDs if they force the courts to act.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Drive-in does not circumvent DRM (the CSS on the DVD is not removed when copied to the HDD), and Flip4Mac have implemented a protection mechanism to stop people sharing their rips. Only you can play back rips that you've made. Others cannot play back your rips, and you can't play other people's rips. Drive-in is safe.

The article goes on and states that Kaleidescope uses both CSS and 256-bit AES to protect their files. So Flip4Macs' preservation of CSS would not protect them from the DVD CCA.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

The article goes on and states that Kaleidescope uses both CSS and 256-bit AES to protect their files. So Flip4Macs' preservation of CSS would not protect them from the DVD CCA.

Good point.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

Flip4Mac may or may not have a concern, depending on if they have a contract with the DVD CCA or not.

This is the key. I think that they probably don't; I don't see why they would need one: their software won't play any of the content - you use Apple's DVD player for that.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    The simplest thing for Apple to do, while still having a SLIM chance of getting studio support, is to create a system whereby iTunes can VERIFY a purchased DVD, but rather than RIP it the verification allows you to download it for $.99; which Apple gives to the Studio. An incremental dollar to the studios on sales they already have seems reasonable, and since it will save most customers time (and return a consistent - sometimes subpar- level of quality) people will pay the small fee for the 'right' to view their content as they see fit.

Obviously, Apple needs more studio support; I'd prefer a larger selection to 720p quality at this point, as I find most of the stuff I download is certainly acceptable from a quality standpoint. It's not HD, but it's better than SD broadcasts stretched on DirecTV.