PUSH Email to/from MAC and Cell Phne

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
"Hi, my name is Scott and I'm a former windows user"

This is my first post so please be patient with me...Does anyone know what app might be able to Push email, appointments, contacts on a MAC using mail.app or Entourage like the 'wirelessync' program Verizon offers for windows uders?

I had (still have) this on my Windows based PC, and want desperatly to make it work on my Mac. I've looked at missing sync, asked at my local apple store, asked at my verizon store, no one has a clue!

Anyone know of an app out there?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scottw View Post

"Hi, my name is Scott and I'm a former windows user"

This is my first post so please be patient with me...Does anyone know what app might be able to Push email, appointments, contacts on a MAC using mail.app or Entourage like the 'wirelessync' program Verizon offers for windows uders?

I had (still have) this on my Windows based PC, and want desperatly to make it work on my Mac. I've looked at missing sync, asked at my local apple store, asked at my verizon store, no one has a clue!

Anyone know of an app out there?

What type of phone are you trying to push your email to? Is it a blackberry, WM5, Palm, Symbian?

I assume you are looking for a desktop redirector since you are looking to push it from your Mac. Might want to google Desktop Redirector for Mac.

I know for the BB you can use PocketMac.

I myself have a Moto Q for work and we have Exchange 2003 SP2 and do direct push w/ Active Sync. Works flawlessly. I love it.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    scottwscottw Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trailmaster308 View Post

What type of phone are you trying to push your email to? Is it a blackberry, WM5, Palm, Symbian?

I assume you are looking for a desktop redirector since you are looking to push it from your Mac. Might want to google Desktop Redirector for Mac.

I know for the BB you can use PocketMac.

I myself have a Moto Q for work and we have Exchange 2003 SP2 and do direct push w/ Active Sync. Works flawlessly. I love it.

Thanks for the quick reply. I have a Verizon XV6700 with WM5.

I have googled 'push email for MAC' and several other things - not what I'm looding for so far.

"Desktop redirector for mac" seams to be for the BlackBerry?!?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Sorry can't help you out with your problem, but I can help you not look like a newbie on the boards It's Mac not MAC
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scottw View Post

Thanks for the quick reply. I have a Verizon XV6700 with WM5.

I have googled 'push email for MAC' and several other things - not what I'm looding for so far.

"Desktop redirector for mac" seams to be for the BlackBerry?!?

is it a .mac account or are u using mail.app to get to some other pop3 or imap account?

looks like a pull might be your only option at this time \
  • Reply 5 of 11
    scottwscottw Posts: 3member
    [QUOTE=trailmaster308;1060126]is it a .mac account or are u using mail.app to get to some other pop3 or imap account?

No, it's not a .mac account.

Right now, I have Verizon Wireless's "Wireless Sync" application on my Windows PC, with Outlook. What ever changes occure on my desktop or Pocket Outlook - (email, contact, calander, notes, tasks) on the Cell Phone (even new email) show up the other when I'm out and about. - Real time Sync while on the road.

What I want to do is accomplish the same thing on my Mac ( Better Shadow? I said Mac - not MAC ) using mail.app or Entourage

I do not know what imap is, but I'm using pop3 accounts with my business web site that is hosted outside elswhere - so the last thng I want to do is have some email address change.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    [QUOTE=scottw;1060131]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trailmaster308 View Post

is it a .mac account or are u using mail.app to get to some other pop3 or imap account?

No, it's not a .mac account.

Right now, I have Verizon Wireless's "Wireless Sync" application on my Windows PC, with Outlook. What ever changes occure on my desktop or Pocket Outlook - (email, contact, calander, notes, tasks) on the Cell Phone (even new email) show up the other when I'm out and about. - Real time Sync while on the road.

What I want to do is accomplish the same thing on my Mac ( Better Shadow? I said Mac - not MAC ) using mail.app or Entourage

I do not know what imap is, but I'm using pop3 accounts with my business web site that is hosted outside elswhere - so the last thng I want to do is have some email address change.

So by that I assume you have to have your desktop on in order to recieve your email. If this is correct then your company probably isn't using exchange 2003 SP2 otherwise they would be using activesync over air instead of you having to using your desktop client from Verizon. Also, they don't sound like they are using the newest version of OWA either.

If your outlook is setup to use pop3, then you should be able to do a direct pop3 connection from your phone to your server address. However, it won't be a real time sync...thats the crappy part. Don't know of any direct push software for the Mac yet from the cell companies....Sprint has the same type client for those that can't get the direct push from the server.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    I don't know what kind of phone you have, but the program BitPim has done all that for me and my Chocolate phone. You have to have a USB cable for your phone though... *shrugs* I don't know if it will work for you, but it's worked for me. http://www.bitpim.org/
  • Reply 8 of 11
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Welcome to July 2008.

http://www.apple.com/mobileme/
  • Reply 9 of 11
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Can on of the mod's ban nvidia2008 for pulling up an old dead thread.

I'm joking.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    carycary Posts: 2member
    I was a long time windows user as well and utilized Windows Mobile for my mobile OS of choice because of the integration with Exchange and the ability to push contacts, email, and calendar information directly from our hosted Exchange environment. I have since changed to OS X as my primary OS and mobile OS via the iPhone. As an active user of Exchange the push capabilities work as well as they do on the Windows Mobile devices without any intervening servers or proxies to deal with. Our company uses Sherweb (www.sherweb.com) as they offer generous space and very reasonable hosting fees per mailbox. They are based out of Canada but service has been excellent. If you are looking for a detailed how-to I've outlined how I was able to connect to their Exchange service here:

http://www.strategicinformatics.com/?p=113

Good luck with your transition...
  • Reply 11 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Welcome to July 2008.

http://www.apple.com/mobileme/

Yeah, that's about the way it syncs.

"You have to be somewhere, beep, beep. Oh, by the way.. last week!"