All Nike running shoes to be iPod compatible by year's end

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Nike Inc. said last week that it plans to make its entire line of running shoes compatible with Apple Inc.'s iPod nano line by the end of this year.

The comment was made Nike president and chief executive Mark Parker on Thursday as the shoe maker released its third-quarter results, saying it had a soft year with some specialty mall retailers.

The segment overall was down, according to Boston.com, with some companies like Foot Locker Inc. and Finish Line Inc. suffering from slumping sales. Nike, however, said it is poised to make major changes in retail this year with the help of leading retail partners that will build strength.

"I won't get into specific dates or executions, but you can expect to see some of these new Nike concepts at retail this calendar year," Parker said

Although the exec wouldn't disclose details, he hinted at changes to Nike's Shox and apparel lines, including plans to make all its running shoes compatible with its Nike+ technology by the end of the year.

Nike+ allows runners to track their workouts -- including distance, time and calories burned -- with Apple's line of iPod nano digital music players.

In September, Apple said that it sold over 450,000 of the Nike+iPod Sport Kits in its first three months of availability. The $30 kit includes a wireless module that fits into the sole of Nike+ running shoes and a receiver that plugs into the base of an iPod nano.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    with my Marware little pouchy thing, shoes with shoelaces are iPod+Nike compatible today!
  • Reply 2 of 36
    Follow these steps from DIY nation and make your own Nike+ compatible shoes. I've done this to two pair so far and it works perfectly!

http://diy-nation.blogspot.com/2007/...-footwear.html
  • Reply 3 of 36
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 697member
    If they could integrate this to a line of cycling shoes and a wireless computer, they could sell to another growing market.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

If they could integrate this to a line of cycling shoes and a wireless computer, they could sell to another growing market.

Except there would be no way for the accelerometer to know the distance the bike travels, unless the system used with a wheel- based distance and speed monitor, thus not requiring a shoe sensor.
  • Reply 5 of 36
    this is good stuff. now I'm kinda tempted to get myself a pair of Nike+ shoes just so I can use my ipod nano during track practice. interesting...
  • Reply 6 of 36
    wtfkwtfk Posts: 47member
    I'd like Nike to make shoes compatible with my feet.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

I'm also surprised this has taken so long. The little magnetic sensors that run bike computers would easily fit into a wireless iPod system and if anything the diagnostics of time, distance and work would be more interesting than even for running. And bike riders are used to paying top dollar for dongles and Tour De France looking gear.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    bdj21yabdj21ya Posts: 297member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by terrillja View Post

Except there would be no way for the accelerometer to know the distance the bike travels, unless the system used with a wheel- based distance and speed monitor, thus not requiring a shoe sensor.

EDIT: Thanks to terrillja's explanation listed below, I realized how entirely boneheaded this post was.

I don't know about that. The current Nike+ sensor is quite inaccurate for running distances, even after calibration, yet I still love it and use it a few times every week.

If anything a cycling sensor could easily be more accurate. It wouldn't be too hard to have a pressure sensor in a shoe that fired each time the pedal went around and then a setting in the iPod for your wheel diameter. Seems like a pretty good idea to me, although when I'm out on a bike I like to have a little more audio feedback from the world around me, but maybe that's just me. For stationary cycles, this could be a great product for people who'd like to keep track of their exercise easily. I always run on a treadmill, but still use the Nike+, just because I like to be able to easily track how many times I run and about how far/fast I'm going.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    What, no Zune compatibility?

I am so disappointed. I thought that I would soon be able to go running (well, walking, in my case) and squirt tunes at others in the park.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdj21ya View Post

I don't know about that. The current Nike+ sensor is quite inaccurate for running distances, even after calibration, yet I still love it and use it a few times every week.

If anything a cycling sensor could easily be more accurate. It wouldn't be too hard to have a pressure sensor in a shoe that fired each time the pedal went around and then a setting in the iPod for your wheel diameter. Seems like a pretty good idea to me, although when I'm out on a bike I like to have a little more audio feedback from the world around me, but maybe that's just me. For stationary cycles, this could be a great product for people who'd like to keep track of their exercise easily. I always run on a treadmill, but still use the Nike+, just because I like to be able to easily track how many times I run and about how far/fast I'm going.

The problem with a bike is that you have gears, your pedaling speed varies- I think if nike comes out with a system to connect the ipod to the wheel sensor that is the best bet, a shoe sensor really has no purpose, since the wheel is the best way to gauge it.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    Quote:

The problem with a bike is that you have gears, your pedaling speed varies- I think if nike comes out with a system to connect the ipod to the wheel sensor that is the best bet, a shoe sensor really has no purpose, since the wheel is the best way to gauge it.

That's why they need to get G.P.S. into iPods ASAP!
  • Reply 12 of 36
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

That's why most bike speedometers are connected to the wheels. Pedaling information is interesting info too, though I don't know if the current system can adapt to that without major changes.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    Anyone know whether iPhone will be iPod+Nike compatible?
  • Reply 14 of 36
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacGregor View Post

I'm also surprised this has taken so long. The little magnetic sensors that run bike computers would easily fit into a wireless iPod system and if anything the diagnostics of time, distance and work would be more interesting than even for running. And bike riders are used to paying top dollar for dongles and Tour De France looking gear.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

What, no Zune compatibility?

I am so disappointed. I thought that I would soon be able to go running (well, walking, in my case) and squirt tunes at others in the park.

If you switch to biking you could squirt from your dongle
  • Reply 15 of 36
    bdj21yabdj21ya Posts: 297member
    Quote:

That's a very good point. It would be very difficult to measure, and I should have realized that.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

Don't bet on it. I'm not sure that people would like to jun with an iPhone strapped to them -- it's a bit big for that. Perhaps when the iPhone Nano is released (supposing that Apple will expand their phone to a second version).
  • Reply 17 of 36
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scooter72 View Post

Follow these steps from DIY nation and make your own Nike+ compatible shoes. I've done this to two pair so far and it works perfectly!

http://diy-nation.blogspot.com/2007/...-footwear.html

Cutting away the foam in the heal of your shoe may not be such a good idea... like running barefoot on concrete. Fine! that's a bit of an exaggeration, but the foam is there for a reason. You should also add the disclaimer that if there is anything other than foam in there (Asics gel, for instance), you may not want to cut into it.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    For what I consider a sub-optimal product, it's sold surprisingly well. They really need to offer several levels (as some of you have noted, GPS, etc.) of product for those willing to spend the extra bucks.
  • Reply 19 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

I hope so. This is what I've been waiting for.

iPhone+Nike
  • Reply 20 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

Don't bet on it. I'm not sure that people would like to jun with an iPhone strapped to them -- it's a bit big for that. Perhaps when the iPhone Nano is released (supposing that Apple will expand their phone to a second version).

While the nano is definitely small, the iPhone is certainly not too huge and unweildy to run with.

Remember the Walkmans?

iPod nano

Dimensions 3.5 x 1.6 x 0.26 inch

Weight 1.41 ounces

iPhone

Dimensions\t4.5 x 2.4 x 0.46 inches

Weight\t 4.8 ounces