Apple store change may hint at Logic overhaul

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple Inc.'s online store has suddenly stopped offering a recent cross-platform update to the company's professional audio production software, leading to speculation that a complete overhaul of the software may be imminent.

A reader on Monday noted that the $49 Logic Pro 7.2 Crossgrade package -- an update that delivers new features and Intel Mac support for users of PowerPC-native Logic Pro 7.0 or 7.1 -- is no longer available for purchase at Apple's online shop.

The move may foreshadow plans by the Cupertino-based company to revamp the software in a sexy new outfit and under a new brand name, that is if recent rumors pan out.

Apple has four booths at this week's Musikmesse Frankfurt international trade fair for musical instruments, music software and computer hardware. And according to a French audio blog, it has invited local retailers to a briefing on the eve of March 26th, about one day before exhibits open to the German public.

It was that same blog site which last month helped stir rumors of a major Logic revamp, when it reported hearing rumblings that the professional audio application would be replaced with a completely new product that would only operate on Apple's upcoming Leopard operating system. At the time, the blog site speculated that Musikmesse would make an ideal fit for such an announcement.

The last major update to Logic from Apple came way back in September of 2004 when the company introduced both Logic Pro 7.0 and Logic Express 7.0

Update: Apple has similarly removed the Final Cut Pro Crossgrade product from its online store ahead of next month's National Association of Broadcasters conference, where it is widely expected to introduce Final Cut Pro 6.0.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    So is that going to be a separate version, like 8.0 or something? Means I've just paid for 7.2 and now this...
  • Reply 2 of 45
    the professional audio forums / rumor mills have been working overtime on this too.

some people believe that the successor to Logic 7 will in fact be named something else, not Logic 8.

people are also under the assumption that the new DAW is going to introduce a reliance or ability to utilze touchscreen control surfaces... in some new innovative way other than simply putting a touchscreen overlay on a traditional monitor.
  • Reply 3 of 45
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Following the lead of changing the name of Apple's mouse to "Mighty Mouse", Logic will now be called... "Spock".
  • Reply 4 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Following the lead of changing the name of Apple's mouse to "Mighty Mouse", Logic will now be called... "Spock".

"PROLogic" - although this would violate Doby's rights to the name

"AppleTOOLS"
  • Reply 5 of 45
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I do believe that Logic Pro 8 will be announced at Musikmesse this week.

I do NOT believe it will be touchscreen..the cost involved would outweight the benefits IMO. My eventual goal is to have the Mackie controllers for mixing.

My opinion is that LP8 is going to be a huge update with big UI changes and lots of mature features. Hopefully the number #1 request of Sample Accurate editing in the Arrange window will finally see the light of day.

I'd love to see a new revision to the EXS sampler and hell while Apple is at it why don't they license Redmatica's Keymap while they are at it. It takes editing in EXS from tedious to jaw dropping in 3 seconds flat. I'm certainly looking forward to using it.

Here's hoping that audio editing functions are MAJORY enhanced. Give us something like Beat Detective but in the Apple way. Make LP8 a peer application for Final Cut Studio. Improve the plugins even more and add features.

Apple has improved the FW drivers for audio in Leopard as well which is great for many FW interfaces especially the bigguns like RME Fireface and Apogee Ensemble.

Improve the Notation features and really juice up Waveburner.

It's been 2yrs since Logic 7 was announced. I know moving to UB slowed things down but lets back on track and get LP8 into musician hands.
  • Reply 6 of 45
    This'll be out tomorrow, I reckon. Along with some new hardware.
  • Reply 7 of 45
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Yep, there are a couple of weapons-grade software updates on the way. Neither programme has been overhauled for at least two years and are required. Octo-Macs at NAB as well I should think.
  • Reply 8 of 45
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

ahead of next month's National Association of Broadcasters conference, where it is widely expected to introduce Final Cut Pro 6.0.

As some have speculated, Apple may introduce octo core systems soon. I hope that the new FCP can use them. Currently with dual xeon 3.0 (4 cores) and 8 gigs of ram when rendering a movie in FCP the system can only use a fraction of the ram and only 27% of the cpu to render the movie. With only 28 meg per second write speed to the disk and 67% idle cpu what would I do with twice as much capacity?

m
  • Reply 9 of 45
    sunbowsunbow Posts: 67member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

As some have speculated, Apple may introduce octo core systems soon. I hope that the new FCP can use them. Currently with dual xeon 3.0 (4 cores) and 8 gigs of ram when rendering a movie in FCP the system can only use a fraction of the ram and only 27% of the cpu to render the movie. With only 28 meg per second write speed to the disk and 67% idle cpu what would I do with twice as much capacity?

m

Well, Leopard should help you there. It breaks the 3GB RAM limit per app that exists in Tiger; ie. it moves to full 64-bit memory addressing. At that point FCP should use considerably more of the available RAM and likewise for the CPU. A faster hard drive may then be needed of course to keep up with writing the output to disk but that clearly depends on what you are doing with FCP at the time and which part of the hardware system is then holding you back!
  • Reply 10 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Update No. 2: Amazon.de is offering pre-orders for a book on "Logic Pro X" that is not due for publication until April 30th...

That doesn't really mean anything... remember the book that was found for AppleWorks X?

I rest my case.

-Clive
  • Reply 11 of 45
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sunbow View Post

Well, Leopard should help you there. It breaks the 3GB RAM limit per app that exists in Tiger; ie. it moves to full 64-bit memory addressing.

That very well may help, but I think there is a huge bottleneck somewhere in FCP because we're talking only a couple 100 megs of ram use and the disks can obviously transfer files at well above 100 megs per second. This is a routine job - just join two flattened movies, no effects no filters, nada. Just render uncompressed from DV captured clips.

m
  • Reply 12 of 45
    sikkdsikkd Posts: 47member
    Logic Pro X is the name of a pocket-size book. It's not an effective application.
  • Reply 13 of 45
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    I was going to upgrade to Logic Pro next week, from Logic Audio 6 (Big Box). I've seen an upgrade offer for around £420.

Maybe they'll allow recent purchasers a fee upgrade to v8?
  • Reply 14 of 45
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    How about this for an idea...

Logic Pro v8 running on an iPhone!
  • Reply 15 of 45
    sikkdsikkd Posts: 47member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mobius View Post

How about this for an idea...

Logic Pro v8 running on an iPhone!

Instead of Logic on iPhone they should put Games on ?tv.
  • Reply 16 of 45
    Looks like our friends in France http://phbrodu.free.fr/files/62f270e...9397c-696.html are claiming:
    • Garage Band Pro

• requires Leopard

• Reply 17 of 45
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    http://www.macshrine.com/2007/03/26/logic-8-tomorrow/

Quote:

Not totally sure about this but posting it out of interest nonetheless. Apple could be about to preview Logic 8 tomorrow online so as not to overshadow announcements next month at NAB. The application could potentially be renamed as it?s such a massive overhaul. Having been under development for the past 5 years, it has features such as a brand new drum engine, built-in tuning and timing module (similar to Melodyne), innovative time stretching loops and improved movie scoring tools. Hopefully that all made sense to someone, we?re not very ?into? music applications. NAB starts Sunday 15th April and is likely to bring Final Cut Pro 6, updated Mac Pros and Final Cut Pro ?extreme?. How exciting?

Make me happy Apple. Tomorrow I want to read all about the new hotness.
  • Reply 18 of 45
    Tomorrow has the potential to be huge.

But I'd be surprised if it was brought under the GarageBand moniker.
  • Reply 19 of 45
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

Looks like our friends in France http://phbrodu.free.fr/files/62f270e...9397c-696.html are claiming:
    • Garage Band Pro

• requires Leopard

GarageBand is more of a name used for amateurs. Maybe something like RecordingStudio or something that implies the professional recording industry
  • Reply 20 of 45
    Or at least something musical.